Main Menu

Heater Box Restore Help

Started by Adams1stCuda, April 16, 2018, 04:39:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

I have the dash out clean it up and replace all the wiring and judging from the wiring connecting the heater box and the less then smooth movement of all the internal doors, I am going to go ahead and pull the heater box and clean it up while I am at it.

Can anyone give me a source or information about how to go about this.  Searched this forum and the googles and didn't find anything with much detail.

From what I have found, removal is straight forward; remove coolant hoses and box is held in place by firewall bolts.  Also looks like I will need a new gasket set for re-installation.  Also see the screws and clips that hold the box together out there but don't know if I will need them.  Plan on replacing the heater core and either replacing or having the motor restored.  Past this, I am not sure about the process or what internal pieces I may need.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

V/r,
Adam

Cuda Cody

Once you open it up you'll see it's really busy simple as there's not a lot to them.  The heater core gets replaced like you said and the motor gets rebuilt.  Besides that the rest should be easy.   Get a gasket kit too.  @MoparDave  sells the good ones.  Detroit Muscle Tech.  You can buy directly from them too, but I think Dave gets us a better deal.

71vert340

If you don't have one yet, get a kit for the heater box. I found out my foam seals were nearly gone due to age and falling apart. Detroit Muscle technologies has a good kit. Just take photos as you disassemble it.
Terry

Burdar

As previously mentioned, get the gasket kits made by DMT. Year One sells a kit but they aren't from DMT.

My advise is to try and save the original heater core. Have a radiator shop look at it. They can pressure test it and resolder the joints if needed. The parts store replacements don't always fit very nice.  :alan2cents:

Adams1stCuda

Do they usually just require a good cleaning or is there any paint and rust removal work needed...

RUNCHARGER

The fibreglass requires cleaning and a clearcoat. The metal bits are generally rusty and will need to be dealt with. Be careful taking them apart as the fibreglass is quite brittle.
Sheldon

71vert340

The steel housing the fan motor mounts to may have some rust due to moisture and dirt at the bottom. The cardboard back may need replacing. The foam seals will need to be replaced. Easy to do if all the parts are there. If you replace the door shaft seals, may need to replace rivets. It just depends on how much you want to do.
Terry

Rich G.

You can blast the doors but some of the little brackets are riveted on and they usually are rusted. Depending on how fussy your getting you can just mask them off and spray them. The box is plastic so usually a good scrubbing cleans them up. I gave mine a light coat with a clear just to make it look good. You barely see much once it's in the car unless you're going for that concourse resto. Take some pictures as you take things apart!

Cuda Cody

And if you want to get super detailed, you can download the heater box stamp artwork for free.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-stamps-stencils-paint-ink-part-numbers/

Adams1stCuda

Appreciate all the pointers.  Don't plan on any showroom restoration; the car doesn't have any valuable pedigree, but want the car to be clean and in good operation.  Got the box out this evening before dinner.  Will throw some pics up tomorrow.  Overall it looks to be in relatively good condition other than once small nick taken out in one place where the two halves come together and two small holes in the front (not sure if those are supposed to be there or not).  Recommend anything to spray/apply to the metal pieces to keep the rust at bay?

RUNCHARGER

I scuff them with a scotchbrite pad and spray them silver for just a cleanup. Mask them in place.
Sheldon

Claudia

:iagree: with all of the above suggestions! 
It is an easy do it yourself project. 

Take lots of pictures when taking it apart and it should go back together pretty smoothly. 
I would take the heater core to a radiator shop as mentioned before instead of purchasing a new one as it is pretty inexpensive to have cleaned and leak tested.
Buy the DMT rebuild kit for all of the seals needed.
I media blasted pretty much the entire box and all of the components.

Adams1stCuda

Here are the before pics...  Overall, compaired to some of them I have seen, not too bad.  Glad I live in a relatively dry area.  Will start to dig in this weekend. 

Adams1stCuda

Forgot to ask, who (or what business) is it again that restores the motor?  Pretty sure its currently shot.

anlauto

Quote from: Adam213 on April 18, 2018, 06:09:40 PM
Forgot to ask, who (or what business) is it again that restores the motor?  Pretty sure its currently shot.

@SF-Resto is the best in the business :perfect10:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration