Main Menu

Heater Box Restore Help

Started by Adams1stCuda, April 16, 2018, 04:39:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

Quote from: Adam213 on April 18, 2018, 06:09:40 PM
Forgot to ask, who (or what business) is it again that restores the motor?  Pretty sure its currently shot.

Mine came apart easily... some clean up & fresh bearing grease & it came back to life..
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cuda_mark

I've always wondered why nobody has reproduced the front cover in fiberglass. Almost every one I've ever seen is cracked...seems like there would be a big market for them since every e-body non-AC car needs one! The plastic ones don't look correct, right?

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on April 19, 2018, 06:02:59 AM
I've always wondered why nobody has reproduced the front cover in fiberglass. Almost every one I've ever seen is cracked...seems like there would be a big market for them since every e-body non-AC car needs one! The plastic ones don't look correct, right?

You mean like this ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-74-Cuda-Challenger-Heater-Box-Cover-Non-A-C/382430916411?hash=item590aa8af3b:g:VQcAAOSwEUVZZuz1&vxp=mtr
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Yes Alan. Have you used one of those? Can you tell the difference between that one and the original fiberglass ones? My question is why someone isn't making one the same way the factory did.

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on April 19, 2018, 06:52:03 AM
Yes Alan. Have you used one of those? Can you tell the difference between that one and the original fiberglass ones? My question is why someone isn't making one the same way the factory did.
Oops sorry, I ASSumed they were fiberglass, I've never used one before...they look good in the picture :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

76orangewagon

The problem I see with the reproductions are that they look Black, not the original brownish material.

HEMICUDA

The reproductions are not even close.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: HEMICUDA on April 20, 2018, 07:16:46 AM
The reproductions are not even close.

Do you know if anyone has ever tried making a fiberglass one that's closer to original? What would be the major hurdle there?

Adams1stCuda

Got it all disassembled...couple of questions.  In the first one, this door has this plastic coating...assume it comes off?  For the other doors it seems I can just clean them up in place, but the last two photos; how is this seal replaced since I can't take the door off?  Lastly, does anyone know offhand what the part number for this door cable is and where does it run?  There wasn't one to this door when I took it off.

Claudia

Quote from: Adams1stCuda on May 04, 2018, 05:14:05 PM
Got it all disassembled...couple of questions.  In the first one, this door has this plastic coating...assume it comes off?  For the other doors it seems I can just clean them up in place, but the last two photos; how is this seal replaced since I can't take the door off?  Lastly, does anyone know offhand what the part number for this door cable is and where does it run?  There wasn't one to this door when I took it off.

I removed the plastic film from my door . . .  :alan2cents:

Door should be removed (drill out the rivets) to replace the gaskets . . .  :alan2cents:

Marty73

I'm thinking I'll need to pull my heater box also, do you have to remove the dash or can I pull it out in the footwell?
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Claudia

I believe it can be pulled without removing the dash but I am not 100% sure as my dash was already out of the car when I did my heater box . . . I can assume that it would be much easier with the dash out!

anlauto

Quote from: Marty73 on February 27, 2023, 01:32:57 PM
I'm thinking I'll need to pull my heater box also, do you have to remove the dash or can I pull it out in the footwell?

No need to remove the dash... :alan2cents:

Marty73

Awesome! Thanks!

Sent from my iPlay_40 using Tapatalk

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

MOPARMIKE69

Here is a great step by step how to restore your heaterbox. It has how to actually remove the hardware and restore it correctly without cheating and masking off rusted hardware.
https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/comeback-cuda-heater-box-reboot-rebuilding-an-e-body-non-a-c-heater-box/