Main Menu

Heater control valve

Started by wimpy, August 01, 2024, 02:48:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

wimpy

Does anyone know why heater control valve are different on challenger and barracudas with a/c?

Skdmark

Any pictures or a specific model year in question?

There are a number of OEM and aftermarket replacement control valves. The early e-body factory control valves are notorious for cracking and are frequently replaced with all metal control valves.
Regardless, they should be the same for Challenger or Barracuda.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

wimpy

The challenger has the Bakelite pice that is prone to cracking. I have seen pictures of Cuda with metal pieces. I believe larger luxury cars had a Bakelite piece that are vacuum controlled,  it had a metal replacement.

headejm

The Bakelite valves are nearly 100% failure rate. I ended up changing to a Four Seasons 74643 metal valve. Required modifications to the bracket to fit in the original spot on a 1970 Challenger. The Bakelite version looks better but easily fails. Not sure about the Barracuda valve.

wimpy

Quote from: headejm on August 02, 2024, 08:28:48 AMThe Bakelite valves are nearly 100% failure rate. I ended up changing to a Four Seasons 74643 metal valve. Required modifications to the bracket to fit in the original spot on a 1970 Challenger. The Bakelite version looks better but easily fails. Not sure about the Barracuda valve.
This is the route I am taking,just wondering why the difference for two similar cars?

Skdmark

Barracudas used bakelite too. The high failure rate causes most people to switch them to metal aftermarket.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

wimpy

Quote from: Skdmark on August 02, 2024, 02:56:05 PMBarracudas used bakelite too. The high failure rate causes most people to switch them to metal aftermarket.
ok thanks for the info I thought barracudas only got the metal version

7E-Bodies

I happen to have a NOS one for the 70 AC if needed.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

wimpy

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 05, 2024, 05:09:12 PMI happen to have a NOS one for the 70 AC if needed.
Thanks but no thanks I went with the metal aftermarket unit