Main Menu

Heater core leak

Started by Ccuda, September 29, 2021, 03:05:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Heater core must be leaking in My 70 AAR. Need guidance on best place to buy online and another question on removal from complete running car. Can I remove it without removing the whole housing ? Looks like there are clips and screws that will allow this but I haven't tried yet. And help will be greatly appreciated.
Ccuda

anlauto

There would be a lot less cursing and swearing if you just remove the entire box and replaced the heater core on the bench. I buy mine from RockAuto. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

As far as I know you have to remove the unit in order to replace the core; at least I had to for mine which has factory A/C.

SgtSuperbird

Definitely remove the unit. It's extremely simple, if it's anything like the '70 TA housing. And when it's out, you can clean it up and check to see if the door seals need to be replaced, which degrade and turn to powder as they age. And, if it's like mine was, you can also remove the gigantic mouse nest that was present!

70 Top Banana

I agree, remove it. You can get a heater core from a lot of places, from parts stores to rock auto and i think even Amazon. If the heater core is the original OEM heater core and you want to keep it, you can send it to Glen Rays radiator and they will rebuild it and It will be as good as the day the factory installed it. But it will cost a little. Still less than$200 bucks.

Skdmark

Quote from: 70 Top Banana on September 29, 2021, 05:44:55 PM
I agree, remove it. You can get a heater core from a lot of places, from parts stores to rock auto and i think even Amazon. If the heater core is the original OEM heater core and you want to keep it, you can send it to Glen Rays radiator and they will rebuild it and It will be as good as the day the factory installed it. But it will cost a little. Still less than$200 bucks.

:iagree:
If it's the original heater core have Bob at Glen Ray redo it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JS29

I agree with Bob rebuilding it. Don't forget about the J hook at the right side vent hole.   :alan2cents:

Dakota

If your heater box hasn't been opened for a while or ever, you will definitely be greeted with a mess when you open it from deteriorated foam.   Take LOTS of pictures as you open it.   I would also recommend using a slow moving video to show where all the vacuum hoses are routed and connected.   The rebuild is not hard to do provided you're not guessing how things are supposed to go together.

I used Glen Ray for my heater core rebuild.   Great folks to deal with! 

The foam gaskets for the heater box rebuild are available from Detroit Muscle Technologies...

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/e-body-1970-74/

A few words of warning:  if you spend even a little time on the DMT website, you will see stuff that you didn't even know you needed - a great opportunity for "mission creep".   They are a very good supplier.

Ccuda

Thanks everyone who helped me out once more on this site. You guys are the best! I removed the whole box today and found a hole in the middle of the core. My Rad man said to just buy another one. He had one from his supplier for $85.00. Rock auto had the exact replacement for $45.00. Plus shipping. It was replaced in2016 but didn't have antifreeze in the system,just water. California thing I guess. It was recommended I use some water pump lube in the future with Antifreeze. No gasket kit used to seal it,just some type of caulking.
Thanks again everyone,
Carl Cuda
Ccuda

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ccuda

Got a core from rock auto and it was the same number Of the one I removed. 54 bucks including shipping. It came in aluminum and mine was Brass/ Copper. Figure it just needed a little trimming but I was wrong. 2 hours of fiddling around and it still bound up when the door tried to close. Can't return it so I ordered another thru myriad shop and it was 85 Bucks. Brass/copper and minor trimming to fit it well. 139 Bucks later and now I got to fill the sys with antifreeze and hope for no more surprises. Sounds like a rebuild would have been the way to go.!FYI
Ccuda