Main Menu

Help Installing Door Window Glass Down Stopper Bumpers

Started by Floyd, May 11, 2020, 01:58:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Any suggestions on the best/easiest way to install these?  No joy after about 15 min of effort.

anlauto

I use lots of lubrication and a small screw driver to get it started, then pliers to pull it through....easy to wreck them using that method so bring some patience...  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Rich G.

Floyd

Ugh - That's what I've been trying.  What a PITA.  I wonder what they did on the line back in the day?  There had to be a trick...

headejm

I have a list of 20 or 30 things that were a PITA during my restoration. Especially on a 1970 E-body, some things were just not designed for manufacturability. They changed a lot parts after the 1970 model year.

Funny story about my window downstop: The tab that goes through the bottom of the door broke off so I glued it in place. Guess what...very difficult to fully assemble the glass and make the adjustments with the downstop installed.  :headbang:

anlauto

...oh for sure good point....this down stop is the absolute last thing to go in  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

headejm

Floyd

Wow - glad I asked.  I'll put that off a bit then.

anlauto

I just thought of this idea...how about pass a piece of mechanics wire up from the bottom of the door, through the slot in the rubber then back out the bottom....lots of lube and pull your wire ....maybe it will work ? :dunno:

You should leave it out until you at least have your window felts (cat whiskers) mounted to the doors :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

I think the wire would cut the rubber...  I've always done the lube & pliers...  Actually I have a pair of vise grips like pictured... I pull down but also back & forth toward the inside & outside of the door... 

Rich G.

Shouldn't be that hard. I slide the backside in the groove as far as you can and then with the small pocket screwdriver start pushing the other side in. I put them in and out that way.

Floyd

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will revisit when I get further with the glass install.  Also, I noticed that the original bumpers had a longer tab to grab onto.  I wonder if they used a tool similar to the vise grips tool above.

Funny, after doing my floor plugs awhile back, I imagined the line workers back the day must have developed huge gorilla hands after doing that job day in and out.

JS29

silicon spray softens rubber, that might help.  :alan2cents: