Main Menu

How close are the headliner bows to the roof?

Started by ksierens, August 12, 2017, 08:13:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

I am planning on installing an overhead console in my car that has a non-SE headliner.  I placed the bows back in to check the clearance for running the wires along the roof to the front, but I am wondering how much room I will have. Right now, they are touching the roof.  Can anyone tell me how thick the insulation is on the roof, and how close the front bows set in relation to it?
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

ksierens

Thanks Cody, but was hoping to see a roof with the insulation installed that shows the thickness before the headliner was installed.

Cuda Cody

@ksierens  I don't think I have any good photos of originals that show all the bows and insulation.  :sorry:  Here's the best I have.

RUNCHARGER

How are you attaching the console to the roof? Are you going to slice the headliner to fit the console?
Sheldon

ksierens

I had it in my car before, it sits below the headliner fine.  I had to fab up a bracket in the front that is attached to the windshield header, and I have the actual bracket that goes in the back.  I will take some pictures when I can.

Mickm

I'm interested in seeing how you attached it. May be something I would want to do.

Cheers!
Mickm

ksierens

Sure, as soon as I fab the front bracket, I will take pictures.  Like I said, I had the factory rear bracket already, but that would not be hard to fab up either.

ksierens

I finally got around to making the front bracket for the overhead console since I will be having the headliner installed. Here are some pictures.

1 Wild R/T

What are you going to do to keep the headliner from tearing at the cut away areas? There should be plenty of room for the wiring but you'll need to cut holes at both ends of the console for wires & brackets, those become weak points where the headliner can tear from & since it needs to be pulled tight tearing might be a issue...   I'd consider gluing reinforcing fabric to the headliner in those areas...

ksierens

I should just need two x cuts for the wires, but that is a good suggestion, thanks!

shawge

I remember MikeTyler over on CC did something similar.  His looked nice, I'm sure yours will too.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

ksierens

Just a follow up, got the overhead console installed with little problems and it sits tightly up against the headliner. Thanks for all the suggestions.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bluespruce

Looks great, I like it and wish my car had one