Main Menu

How difficult to remove and replace right lower dash trim?

Started by GrandpaKevin, March 06, 2018, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm planning to replace the cracked right lower dash trim on the wife's 71 Challenger.

From looking at the pics of the new trim piece it appears there are a series of screws that hold the piece in place.

I haven't crawled under the dash to look around yet, how difficult is it to access these screws?

Any other pieces that have to come off first?

Thanks.

anlauto

Not going to be easy...I would take the ashtray insert out, maybe the radio too... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: anlauto on March 06, 2018, 06:09:15 PM
Not going to be easy...I would take the ashtray insert out, maybe the radio too... :dunno:

The radio is already out(plan to install a new one when installing the trim).
How difficult to remove the ashtray insert?

Would it be a good idea to remove the passenger seat for this old guy to get under the dash easier?

blown motor

Removing the ashtray insert is only three screws I think and pull the wire off of the lighter. It will give you access to the three screws on the right side. You can do it sitting in the seat. You'll need a stubby screw driver or a screw driver bit in a socket, something short.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

For me, I'd remove the seat. You have to get your head under and behind the dash to see where those lower screws are.
And I'm not as flexible as Murray.  :)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GrandpaKevin

I learned my lesson about removing the seats when I replaced the worn clutch pedal return spring pin on my
4 speed Challenger on a 95 degree day.

I swear I twisted myself around under the dash to the point I was stuck....it took me 10 minutes to wiggle and fight my way out :steamingmad:

The driver's seat came out real quick after that.

blown motor

Agreed, removing the driver's seat will help for the under the dash screws but no need to remove the passenger's seat.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Claudia

I just installed this trim piece . . . what a nightmare!  My dash was already installed in my car which made this a really time consuming task.  Two lower screws were no problem, however the three vertical screws are a PAIN!   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Sometimes pulling the steering wheel helps a ton too and it's very easy to do. Actually I think if you pull the wheel you would probably have enough room with the seat left in.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Claudia on March 26, 2018, 08:40:24 AM
I just installed this trim piece . . . what a nightmare!  My dash was already installed in my car which made this a really time consuming task.  Two lower screws were no problem, however the three vertical screws are a PAIN!   :alan2cents:

Did you remove the ashtray insert like suggested?

Claudia

I did not as the ash tray insert really didn't seem to be in my way or hindering myself getting to the screws . . . it's just a tough spot to get in.

chaps70rt

The ashtray insert definitely needs to be removed.   3 x screws and then a stubby or mini socket wrench.    I used a 3" ratcheting wrench with a Philips bit attached.  Not something everyone owns, but worth the purchase at around $20.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi