Main Menu

Ignition key will not come out of ignition switch

Started by IRON MAN, July 26, 2018, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Put the ignition key in the ignition switch upside down thinking it was my Silverado truck. Now the key won't turn and it will not come out of the ign switch. Tried wiggling the key, pushing the key in or pulling it out but the key is stuck. The 73 Challenger has console with floor mounted shifter, a separate locking lever on the steering column and must be pressed down and held before the key can be turned. Tried putting the gear selector in Park and neutral with no luck. :pullinghair: What to do?

Cuda Cody

Are you thinking it's stuck from the lockout collar not functioning or because it's upside down?

Brads70

Sounds like a problem that Neil would be good at solving? @Chryco Psycho

IRON MAN

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 26, 2018, 03:19:38 PM
Are you thinking it's stuck from the lockout collar not functioning or because it's upside down?

I don't know. If it is the lockout collar how do I over ride it? If the key is stuck because it was inserted upside down how is this problem solved? Glad this happened in my garage and not out of town. My car has PS and I'm wondering if it is related? Worst case scenario might have to replace the column? :pullinghair:

734406PK

This happened to me years ago. I took off the key ring and clamped a pair of vise grips to the ignition key and pulled it out of the column. Nothing broke thank God but that might have been just dumb luck on my part. Tried everything and this was a last resort.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

It's not the lockout.... You haven't turned the key (it's upside down) so the lock out hasn't been a factor.....  The key is stuck.... Pull it out with force... :alan2cents:   Put a rod through the key ring hole so you have something to grip.....

dave73

Chryco Psycho

I have seen this often , what happens is the key buzzer lever on the bottom of the key way hooks into the cuts on the key , usually pulling it out with vice grips makes the situation worse as the key will break off in the lock 90% of the time , now you have a jammed & broken key to extract what is needed is a thin piece of steel slide in along side of the key or below the key to lower the buzzer lever to release the key or you can pull the crush can to get to the buzzer switch inside the column .
I am trying to think what most people would have handy , maybe a slice out of a Soda can flattened out & slid in beside the key

mopar jack

Had that happen a couple of years ago going to Ohlone colledge car show. Stopped for gas and putt key in upside down, pulled like hell and wiggled and cussed and discussed but finally got it out. Fortunately I removed the steering lock when I built the car so if I had to I could have hot wired the car to drive it home. Iron Man your  situation made me realize this is not a rare occurrence and I wondered why I had never done this with the Challenger I drove for 20 years then I realized that keys are symmetrical for most newer cars and I no longer paid attention to up or down.

nsmall

@IRON MAN Just wanted to tag you to make sure you are getting the help you need.

bc3j

Happen to me too. Key inserted upside down, partially in and stuck, but not turned. Grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out.  Inserted it correctly and everything works ok.

IRON MAN

Guys,  tried clamping vice grips on the key. Did not work. The key is stuck like it is welded in place.

dave73Chally - Thank you for linking me to Chryco Psycho's thread dated 2009. The post below Chryco Psycho's by willard suggests using a paper clip with wd40. I will give the paper clip procedure a try. It worked for willard.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post the paper clip idea results.

Burdar

Maybe if you could rig up a slide hammer to the key.  Some gentle (or not so gentle) taps might make it come out easier then just pulling force.

IRON MAN

I got the key to come out on the 4th try using the paper clip technique. Inserted a straightened out small paperclip at the bottom of the key and the key pulled out rather easily. Then, inserted the key right side up and now the key will not rotate and unlock the steering wheel, and the key will not turn to start the car. UGH! So the column locking lever when pressed down does nothing. Tried to start car in Park and Neutral  the key will not turn the ignition switch. So maybe the collar lever was defective all along.

1 Wild R/T