Main Menu

Inner door lock lever rod fitting

Started by kawahonda, August 16, 2018, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

So I had my door panel off to do some alignment.

Noticed that the inner door lock lever rod was not was pushed into the head fitting over by the handle (it was disconnected). So I was able to use some pliers and "pop" it into place and had a functioning door lock lever!

A couple weeks later (today) I was playing with the door lock lever (flipping it back and forth) and doing so caused it to disconnect again. What gives?

There's two ways to replace:

1) Find the correct plastic "part" that's brand new that fits into the fitting. Maybe the plastic part got worn and there is too much tolerance now...

2) Do what I did last time, but add some epoxy to the fitting area.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

shawge

Might need new rod/latch clips. It should have a section that clips to the rod and secures it.

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

kawahonda

Yeah. I think I just need one of those latch clips. My guess is they are probably not sold individually.

kawahonda

Anyone that sells one of those?

And some dash screws?

And some interior screws?

Without spending $60 for a "kit"

Daveh

I have some laying around let me know what color you need and send me a pic and if I have it I will send drop it in the mail to you.  No charge.  That beats $60.00.

Dave

kawahonda

That's awesome of you! Let me snap a photo over the weekend. I always keep track of awesome things like this from forum members. Thanks.

Daveh

If I have it it's yours.  This group has helped me plenty and I like returning the favor when I can.  Just let me know. 

HP2

There should not only be the round piece that plugs into the hole in the lock plate and hold the end of the rod, but also a clip to snaps on to the rod to prevent it falling out.  If you snapped it back into the hole, but did not flip the clip over on to the rod, yours is broken and needs replaced.

I've found these at local parts stores in the tool aisle. They are typically in the ididit products section where you can find other odds and ends like wheel bearing grease caps, window cranks, oil pan drain plugs, etc.

kawahonda

AH. I'm missing the "clip". I think my round piece is fine...

Any pictures of what the clip looks like?

I'd almost imagine it's like a small c-clip?

shawge

It's the U shaped clips, upper left and right in the pic I posted,
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

kawahonda

Ah ha!

That's what I need. Easy to find an a hardware store you guys think?

HP2

The clip is integrated with the bushing. The picture shawge posted shows them. You push the round bushing into the lock plate, pop the rod into the bushing, then spin it around until the clip locks on the rod.

I've never seen them in hardware stores, but most auto parts stores have them.

kawahonda

So basically, I would need to replace the bushing since it's integrated. Sounds like I need to remove it this weekend, go down to a parts store, and get it done.

I'll take a dash screw and  a console screw with me and get some extras as well. Hardware stores should have those.

HP2

You may even find that when you are ready to take it apart to pull it out, the clip is still attached to the bushing but you didn't know to spin it around and attach it.

shawge

Snapped a pic from above. Hope it helps.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet