Main Menu

Installing new Upholstery in front buckets for 1970 Challenger

Started by erik70rt, April 26, 2021, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I picked up some old seat frames and all the inside pieces for the upholstery.  Does someone have a good diagram of how all the individual bars and pieces install on the seat frames for when I secure the burlap and foam? 

Thanks!

Erik
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

erik70rt

erik70rt

RJChallenger

I watched the video on Legendary Interiors web site a couple of times when I did my seats. Pick a hot sunny day to do the install. Leave the covers in the sun getting nice and soft. I'm very happy with the results I got. Good luck and enjoy

Dakota

When I redid my 70 Challenger front seats, there was a maze of listing wire underneath.  I think I still have pictures of them if needed, but it'll be a couple of days before I can access them.  For Legendary seat covers, the listing wires are mostly straight pieces and very simple as shown in their video.   I have no experience with other manufacturers of replacement seat covers.

If you need pictures of the originals, please let me know and I'll try to find them. 

70 Top Banana

The you tube video ratroaster listed is a pretty good tutorial and Legendary sell all the pieces. Watch it a few times and you can do it. Also good advice to lay your covers in the sun a little while to get them a little soft.

JH27N0B

After you get them done and the seats back in the car, if the vinyl still has some bulges and uneven looking areas, don't despair.
Park the car out in the sun with the windows up for a few hours, and more often than not they will disappear like magic!

7E-Bodies

@erik70rt my 70 seats are out of the car and original. I won't take them apart, but I'd gladly flip the around/remove the backs and get you pics of the assembled parts if that helps. Just shout.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

erik70rt

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on June 25, 2021, 09:34:44 AM
@erik70rt my 70 seats are out of the car and original. I won't take them apart, but I'd gladly flip the around/remove the backs and get you pics of the assembled parts if that helps. Just shout.

That would be awesome!  Thanks!

headejm

Here are the left and right seat bottoms from a 1970 Challenger.

MoparCarGuy

I restored my Cuda from 1998 to 2000. I was saving any resources I found for everything and Mopar Muscle Magazine (out of business) published this article in 1999. I immediately thought of it when I saw your post.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-9904-how-to-install-front-and-rear-seats/

There are 44 pictures in black and white. The assembly of the burlap and wires starts at picture 16/44. Link is below.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-9904-how-to-install-front-and-rear-seats/?galleryimageid=356219
I had my seats done at an upholstery shop and I gave them photocopies of the article, new Legendary seat covers, bucket seat foam, and a roll of padded burlap (one side is burlap). The technician appreciated the detailed pictures and they came out perfect.

Make sure you get those seat bottoms and backs "pulled down" so they are contoured to the foam. I see way too many seats where so many layers of added foam over the old seat foam makes the seats look flat. New seat foam and proper assembly solve this issue.

Hope the article pictures help.