Main Menu

Installing sound deadner

Started by nsmall, October 14, 2017, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I bought some really nice sound deadener and I was curious if you guys cut little strips off or apply big sheets at a time and cut out the deadner where there are holes in the cars shell?

Also is it necessary to put deadner up against the outside wall of the door or just around the areas where the actual vinyl panel connects to the door?

My door has some undercoating in this area but I was also thinking it wouldn't hurt to lay down some deadener?

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

I stick it on the inside of the door's outer sheetmetal but you have to do that before installing the glass and regulators. I don't do anything behind the quarter windows.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

soundcontrol

In that area I'm gonna use Raptor liner, with 2K epoxy under, just bought a bunch of those with a spray gun.

Racer57

I did this with the doors themselves and the passenger area. I placed strips on the metal itself leaving the holes open, then placed refectix over the open area. The doors now have more of a thud sound than they did before.

303 Mopar

I used the largest squares I could until I got down to weird angles and small areas.  I also rolled up the windows and installed as big as pieces as I could I the outer door skin.  For the inside, I only cut out holes of were I would need to access the regulator for window adjustments and door locks.  I did not remove the back rear side panels, but did run the insulator up the back behind the seats.  And I agree with @RUNCHARGER, the doors are much more solid sounding when you shut them now versus it sounding like a hardware store collapsing. 

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: All right, who here can tell the sound of a stock E'body door closing from across a parking lot?
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 15, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
Ha, ha: All right, who here can tell the sound of a stock E'body door closing from across a parking lot?

My ears are tuned for a few things Mopar specific from a distance:  e-body door closing, the sound of a Hemi, and an original starter cranking.