Main Menu

Instrument cluster lens repair

Started by Jocigar, August 19, 2020, 12:41:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Has anyone restored the gauge lens? 

as in remove scratches and buff back to clear ?  wondering how workable the plastic is, if I can wet sand some deep scratched. 

Also buffing sometimes overheats and melts plastic if not careful.    Any hands experience with this?     

I would buy new from roseville but I need speedo too, found a cluster unit with lens scratch for 400 so would be worth it if I can fix it.

thx !!

Cudajason

Quote from: Jocigar on August 19, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Has anyone restored the gauge lens? 

as in remove scratches and buff back to clear ?  wondering how workable the plastic is, if I can wet sand some deep scratched. 

Also buffing sometimes overheats and melts plastic if not careful.    Any hands experience with this?     

I would buy new from roseville but I need speedo too, found a cluster unit with lens scratch for 400 so would be worth it if I can fix it.

thx !!

I used some a product call PlasticX on mine years ago and it cleaned up pretty nice.  Cant hurt to give it a try.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Bullitt-

Way back in the day I mess up a lens on my Duster.. Took it to a local shop that specialized in plastics & they buffed it out using a bench top buffer for me..
    I'd use low speed with extremely light pressure keeping the polish damp  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

This won't remove HEAVY scratches but it polishes it up real nice....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PLY474

I used the final polishing compound from a 3M headlight restoration kit.  Rubbed by hand.  Came out very well. 
I sometime use it to clean up lightly scratched CDs.

BIGSHCLUNK

We buff lots of plastic at the shop. Have had good results with the PlasticX and the buff kit show above. Keep things wet, heat is not your friend

Jocigar

Thank you all !  ...appreciate the help.

Spikedog08

What year are you working with?  Is it the 70 style or the later style?   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Mopar5