Main Menu

Interior firewall

Started by nsmall, January 28, 2017, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I've decided to fill in the misc holes on firewall, including the heater air-conditioning box hole.

Try not to make sense of what I'm doing...Thanks

I do have AC firewall insulation for the interior but I'm assuming there's no point to put it in if the freaking fire wall is completely filled in around the heater air-conditioning box area?

So I'm basically trying to ask, skip installing the firewall insulation around the heater/AC box as there is no point?

Thanks

screamindriver

Well OK I won't try to make sense of it... 8)  But in any event even with no box there you'll want some type of insulation in that area if nothing more than to keep the heat from the engine compartment up there where it belongs...It does'nt really matter what type you use just run the carpet up a little higher so you can't see a big open spot under the dash in that area...

:thinking:  And here's the real wrench thrown into your "no heater box" approach...Check with your state laws I know here in Pa. you need at minimum some type of windshield defroster...Yeah, I know you see restomods with the box delete all the time so either A}They don't drive it on the street or B} the state laws or licensing got them around it somehow...

cataclysm80

:iagree:  If you plan to drive the car, it's very likely that you'll want a windshield defogger. 
If you don't install a factory setup, you might consider finding a way to hook some other kind of fan up to the windshield ductwork.

Other than that, yeah, you can weld up a lot of holes in the firewall. 
You could attach the AC firewall insulation with adhesive instead of the plastic push pins.
Might be more fun to skip those fiberglass bits though and just use something like lizard skin or dynamat
http://www.lizardskin.com/
http://www.dynamat.com/

Unless you really need the weight savings for an all out race car, driving will be more enjoyable with insulation to help with heat and sound issues.

Cuda Cody

Something like the Dynamat, Fatmat or Lizardskin will work really good for keeping sound and heat out.   :alan2cents:

nsmall

I already have the yellow with black backing insulation.  I would be interested in dyno matting the fire wall, but my carpet (new and installed by the previous owner) is already cut to stop about half way up the firewall.

I am assuming I would have to buy new carpet and have it rolled up the fire wall to cover the dynomat?

Or is there some sort of black covering for the dynomat?

Thanks

Neil

cataclysm80

I think Dynamat has a shiny foil backing, so it would definitely grab some attention down there.
Maybe you could paint it?  Not sure how well paint would stick to the foil backing.

Lizard Skin should be paintable, so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Is your carpet black?
Instead of a whole new carpet, maybe you could just get a piece to go on the firewall?

Cuda Cody

The carpet doesn't go up the firewall very far.  That's because it's designed to fit with a heater box.  So it might not be cut by the previous owner?   :notsure:  When doing custom stuff you kinda just make it up as you go.  There's not rules, just whatever you want to do.   :)