Main Menu

Interior Plastic Restoration: Who has the tips and ins/outs?

Started by kawahonda, January 07, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Many of us probably have sun-faded interior pieces. Some parts even go a little chalky where you can scratch with your nail. I just wanted to share my experience, but also solicit advice/tips from people who have had success.

Interior "Shine" sprays. I've tried 303, Mequires, etc. None them darken the plastics to "hide" imperfections. These I found basically useless to use on these panels---zero improvement.

Heat Gun. I took a heat gun to several faded spots. Sadly, it does not work at all. It will "shine" up the spot, but it doesn't remove any of the fade at all.

Simple green + plastic brush. Surprisingly, this works the best for just getting a nice clean panel. This is what I will probably end up doing for the time being.

Peanut oil. This makes a 150% improvement because it darkens the interior and hides most imperfections. It's a surprising improvement. The problem however is that the oil leaves it...oily feeling and probably attracts dust/lint. Plus it needs to be reapplied every 4 months or so. It's messy too.

Has anyone used any automotive products for plastics that don't necessarily remove the fade, but darkens/shines it to make it less noticeable that performs as well as peanut oil without the residue?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any step-by-step guides on full restoration of plastic peices--which including painting. I'd like to know the entire process for chalk removal, scratch removal, texture-reapplication, and prep from start to finish. I feel like this would be a fun project and I have the patience to do it. Otherwise, I would assume lots of money to pay someone else to do it. Has anyone paid to have their interior pieces redone and what was the cost? My dash and console are fine, but everything else could use a face lift.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

CudaMoparRay

ratroaster

If they are scratched and chalky not much you can do with them.  I have seen guys sand down the chaiky areas/ scratches and redye them but no way to get the texture back.  This was common before the good reproduction panels came out.  If you are looking for show quality the reproductions are hard to beat.  For a nice driver I would not be afraid to sand them and redye them.  I have used the SEM brand dye and adhesion promoter and it comes out looking great as far as color and shine go. 

kawahonda

Some more questions/things I've heard that you've raised.

1) I've heard reproduction panels are not worth obtaining. Has this changed recently? If the reproduction panels are superb, can they be had in colors?

2) I do believe that there are texture sprays and/or ways to add the texture back in. If this isn't true, then you're certainly correct: there's no way to save them if they have significant wear.

blown motor

I put reproduction door panels on which I got from Roseville and the look great. I got them two or three years ago.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

kawahonda

I'm learning that the vacuum formed ones are quite awesome. The only issue is that you can have any color you want, as long as it's white or black. I guess that requires painting/dying. Then I worry about when the dye/paint will wear off/get scratched.

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on January 07, 2019, 02:45:21 PM
I put reproduction door panels on which I got from Roseville and the look great. I got them two or three years ago.

:iagree: same here but maybe 8 years ago. Also happy with them!

blown motor

Quote from: Brads70 on January 07, 2019, 04:16:16 PM

That wasn't eight years ago! Remember I picked up yours. Oh wait, maybe you're getting old faster than the rest of us.  :pokeeye:

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on January 07, 2019, 04:20:11 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on January 07, 2019, 04:16:16 PM

That wasn't eight years ago! Remember I picked up yours. Oh wait, maybe you're getting old faster than the rest of us.  :pokeeye:

HAHA really ? my memory must be slipping?  :-[

blown motor

I pulled the invoice it was actually 4 years ago. We were both wrong.

Rdchallenger

ratroaster

I would contact Dave at Roseville.  He should know of guys buying and painting/dyeing the new door panels.  I'm fairly certain if you take your paint code to any reputable PPG or SEM dealer they can mix the correct color.  Herb's has burn't orange interior paint but I have never used it. 

jimynick

I think the lads have covered the reproduction section, so I'll tell what I did to my original and in good shape panels. Wash them carefully and completely. I used some Simply Green in a bucket of warm water and used a 3M very fine grit sanding pad/sponge and washed/scuffed EVERY part of them. Dry them with air or a lint free cloth and then using the two rag method, wipe them with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) in small sections and immediately wipe off and continue until you've done the whole panel. I did them one at a time so as to keep the softening effect. Spray light coats of the SEM (I used landau black) to cover and give it about 3 spaced coats and then let it air dry at least 24 hours in a warm spot. I masked (carefully) the chrome trim on the panels where required and have had zero problems with my now looking as new panels. Good luck   :bigthumb:
PS- they look like they're new!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

usraptor

Quote from: jimynick on January 07, 2019, 06:54:12 PM
I think the lads have covered the reproduction section, so I'll tell what I did to my original and in good shape panels. Wash them carefully and completely. I used some Simply Green in a bucket of warm water and used a 3M very fine grit sanding pad/sponge and wahed/scuffed EVERY part of them. Dry them with air or a lint free cloth and then using the two rag method, wipe them with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) in small sections and immediately wipe off and continue until you've done the whole panel. I did them one at a time so as to keep the softening effect. Spray light coats of the SEM (I used landau black) to cover and give it about 3 spaced coats and then let it air dry at least 24 hours in a warm spot. I masked (carefully) the chrome trim on the panels were required and have had zero problems with my now looking as new panels. Good luck   :bigthumb:
PS- they look like they're new!

Did basically the same with the interior pieces for my '70 Cuda and they came out looking like new.  The SEM Landau black is as close as you're going to get to original IMHO. 

kawahonda

I'm still worried about buying black or white panels, and having them painted/dyed. Door panels get lots of abuse...think about shirt buttons or whatever just rubbing against them on the arm rest, etc. Does the paint ultimately get scratched off/chipped?

Sounds like it's going to be mega-money either way if you have damaged original color panels whether you go the restoration route or the buy+new and pay to get it painted route.

btw, the black stuff above only applies to black panels I would suppose.