Main Menu

Issue with new repop center console

Started by shadango, July 24, 2019, 09:27:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

shadango

Quote from: Cuda_mark on August 07, 2019, 07:20:39 AM

Think about that for a second. 3000 consoles. That's a lot of parts. Thanks for supporting the Mopar Industry @TONY! I think your consoles are in 25% or more of the old Mopars still out there.

Agreed ---a lot of parts sold --- and if I can get one that doesn't have the dent in it and looks good, it'll be 3001.  :)  Here is to hoping and keeping my fingers crossed!  :andyangel:

And I thank Tony as well as Roseville and every other Mopar-specific vendor who has made it easy for we E-body fans to get our cars to a level of perfection not possible in as little as 10-15 years ago. I bow in the presence of ALL those folks.... truly doing a service to keep our hobby doable. :worship:

Quote from: Cuda_mark on August 07, 2019, 07:20:39 AM
And like you've said, the quality of these parts in 1970 wasn't all that great to begin with.

Not sure why that keeps getting said....

Yeah, the quality of our cars wasn't all that great in some areas as compared to today.....

But that was with 1970s technology.

I keep using GC as an an example....so one more time....orange peel and leaky windshields/back glass and drips in paint and poor panel fit was the norm back when our cars were new.....yet GC (and many of us I would think) do not accept that as something they want on our cars now. Mark says that all the time on the show. And I would rank Worman up there as a Mopar guru and artist.

Just sayin.

As an aside.....I get the feeling like my post on this topic, questioning the defect on the console I received from Classic, may be seen by some as some sort of affront to Tony or the overal quality of his product......(or maybe not, feeling paranoid today maybe...lol)...or that I am not "giving props where props are due" to someone.

It's not meant that way.

I had no idea Tony was the originator of these parts when I posted my original post. Not that it should matter, right?

If you look at my original post, I am clearly asking if the defect on the console I received is typical, having NEVER seen it in 10 years of owning my ebody and looking at a lot of consoles. Typical meaning "on most".  Not "an occasional defect".

Defects happen in any product, and I have no issue with that. I am not faulting anyone for anything.

But I also do not have an issue with expecting to not have to accept what is clearly a manufacturing defect -- (and if it isnt on the majority of original or repop consoles, it IS a defect)  as in any way "normal" even if that defect happened now and then when the parts were originally made. If I would have bought a brand new car then and it had this problem, I would have pointed it out before taking delivery and it would have been addressed, just like we do today when there is some issue with a new car.  Well, I know *I* do....I dont just write it up as a manufacturing defect and live with it.

Just because 40 years ago quality was poor doesn't mean it should be accepted today unless the defect was part and parcel to ALL of the original parts and actually part of the design....like those "correct" casting lines on thermostat housings that are sought after.....

If it was truly "out of sight" I wouldn't care. But it is, so I do.

Like I said.....no trying to rock any boats, piss off anyone considered Mopar royalty or be a tool in general...

Just want to get a console that looks great and replaces the old defective one I already have.

Wow....two rants in a day......LOL....I need a vacation I guess.   :tired:

shadango

Just got off the phone with a Dave C. from Classic.

He says they had 9 of them in stock when I initially contacted them with the issue and those 9 have the issue.

I asked if they would be getting any more in and he did say they had just gotten more in and would have his best guy pull them and see if they too have the issue or not and thoroughly inspect and let me know via phone.

Crossing my fingers.  (Is there a "crossing fingers" emoticon?? LOL)

shadango

Well, Classic got back to me Friday afternoon....

They say that they got 9 more consoles in and all have the same defect.

Having never seen this defect on any console before , used old parts or new, I know this isn't on all of them.....

I asked for a refund.

I guess I will hold off until I can either get one from a vendor who will make sure that what they send me is 100% great or til I can inspect one in person.

No point exchanging one console with a defect that draws my eye to it every time I see it with another that does the same.    :crying:

aussiemark

Classic sell junk I bought parts for a Camaro from them 20 years ago and everything I bought was junk I would never buy Mopar parts from them. When did they start selling Mopar parts anyway and why? they should stick to Chev junk, it's even more fun for me in Australia having to deal with the return merry go round. I only deal with proper vendors who only sell Mopar parts and have been doing so for years not Johnny come lately trying to cash in on us. Better to support those who deserve it even if it costs a couple of dollars more it works out better in the end less hassles and they know and care about what they are selling.

shadango

Quote from: aussiemark on August 11, 2019, 05:47:42 AM
Classic sell junk I bought parts for a Camaro from them 20 years ago and everything I bought was junk I would never buy Mopar parts from them. ......Better to support those who deserve it even if it costs a couple of dollars more it works out better in the end less hassles and they know and care about what they are selling.

On the service side I agree ----   paying a little less for a product isnt worth it if the service end stinks. 

That said...as far as the products being "junk"........they only sell products, they don't make them...just like any other "Mopar" vendor........according to what I was told in this thread (above) there is only one manufacturer of these consoles and that is Tony's Parts. My guess (and only Tony can confirm or deny) is that these consoles are made in some chinese factory just like most other things these days and are subject to the same issues as any other item. Buying chinese parts for my American Mopar really chaps my hide...but thats a topic for another thread and day.

The console I got didn't seem like "junk" to me....on the contrary, it seemed , during the short time I looked at it before I found the defect, like it was as good as the original part. I never had the chance to try and fit it....I knew I didnt want that specific one once I saw the defect. So I cannot speak to that aspect.  From what I hear they fit as good as the originals (for better or worse), one reason I bought it to begin with.

shadango

So.....I am reviving my thread on this...still interested in the repops...

Wondering if anyone has bought one lately and if they could report back as far as the divot (whether yours has one or not)?  Last I talked to Classic, they claim to have checked all their stock and they all had them....at the time I figured i would give it some time and see what happened.....

I was watching my DVRd episodes of GYC tonight and Tony was on one of them (the one where he was concerned about some sanding scratches deep under the paint on his car being done, seen at certain angles and how he wanted to NOT have that defect), and it reminded me about this.

I was hoping to do Carlisle this year so I can find one and see it in person before buying but it's looking more and more like that aint happening (Thanks Governor Wolf!).....

Yeya93

I read on here somewhere that the top plate fitment issue with the center console is a thing with the repro industry. Well, I usually work on my interior stuff at home when not working on my car at the body shop. I pulled out my repro top plate and repro center console. Turns out, i have a fitment issue. Does anyone have an idea if this is fixable somehow? The top plates fits perfectly flush on a original center console, but not on my repro center console. There's only about 5 inches worth where the plate doesn't sit flush onto the repro center console. Everywhere else, it fits good. I figured maybe using a heat gun, but I would be afraid to warp the plastic somehow? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

torredcuda

You can heat gently just be carefull to not get too hot, I`ve done it with an original warped grill.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Purepony

Oh man you do need a vacation !! 

Real simple.

A. Return console and look for a new one or nice used one

B. Keep what you bought

Life's to short to go insane over this

Yeya93

@purepony not sure if that was towards me or not. Lol i have an idea on how to fix this on my console. I think it'll definitely workout. I talked to Tony and he gave me some good ideas. Lol

Burdar

Get out the grinder and start beveling the bottom edge/corner of the top plate.   With a bevel on the bottom edge instead of a sharp 90 degree corner, it will sit down lower into the console.  :alan2cents:

Yeya93

@burdar  thank you. That's exactly what I will be doing for sure!