Main Menu

Legendary seat covers

Started by RJChallenger, August 06, 2018, 02:59:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I'm hoping to soon, be ordering seat covers hopefully from Mopar Dave. My question is when you order new covers what all do you get? What about the steel rods that fit inside the covers and attach to the listing wire. Mine are very rusty,does everyone just make new ones themselves? I just want to be ready

RJChallenger

Here's what I removed from my 70 bucket seat. I think the ones with the curled ends came out of the covers themselves. The straight ones I don't remember if hey held the seat foam or the covers? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

JH27N0B

Legendary seat covers don't include new listing rods.  I don't know if any source has them available as reproductions?
If the seat structure and components are rusty, most people media blast and repaint the frame, and if anything is broke, do some welding?  Are your rods to far gone to restore?
It probably wouldn't be too hard to make up new ones using the old as patterns if your old ones are too far gone.

RJChallenger

Thanks , that's good to know. I was thinking of using H.D duty coat hangers if I needed to, As I dont think they will be strong enough to take the strain of new seats. Do you happen to know what are the straight rods used for? seat foam or seat covers. Thanks

JH27N0B

I've reupolstered 2 sets of 70 Challenger front buckets over the years, and fortunately my frames and foam were still in good shape to reuse.  So I haven't done a full "restoration" of a seat.
The rods I dealt with go in sleeves pre-stitched to the inside surface of the Legendary seat covers.  When you install the covers, the listing rods are what you "staple" to the seat structure with hog rings to hold the covers in place and create the contours of the seat.
I'm not sure how the foam, or burlap, is installed and retained, so I can't say if more rods are used for that purpose?
The rods need to be fairly robust, I don't think a coat hanger would work.  Otherwise they might bend or bow under the force holding the contours in place, and from the weight of our fat bodies when we sit in the seat! :D

RJChallenger

Thanks for the info. I will have to head into town and buy hardened wire. Thanks for ll your help.

cordodge

Maybe some 1/8" Tig wire would work :notsure:

RJChallenger

Does anyone know if listing wire is mild steel, hardened or alloy?