Main Menu

Metro Supersoft driprail weatherstrip

Started by Aar1064, June 12, 2017, 03:53:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

Hey can someone take a look at pics and tell me if this is correct? A-pillar area looks like how Inthink it should be but by the time it wraps around to roof and quarter it closes the gap where the glass seals. I've never done this so I may be making something out of nothing.

Shane Kelley

Pinched together to much in the middle. Front part is how it should all look. I just installed some myself. They are tough to get perfect. Things are a real pain in the a$$!  Never did get them perfect but I did get them pretty good.

Aar1064

Yeah I'm starting to realize that. Hmmm. I'll keep at it.

Cuda Cody

If you do as many as Alan does I guess it gets easy, but this is one of those steps I just have to take my time and go through it slowly.  I tried to have the glass in place so I can roll up the window and double check things too.  Then get it the best you can.  I don't think they were ever perfect.

Aar1064

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 12, 2017, 05:20:46 PM
If you do as many as Alan does I guess it gets easy, but this is one of those steps I just have to take my time and go through it slowly.  I tried to have the glass in place so I can roll up the window and double check things too.  Then get it the best you can.  I don't think they were ever perfect.
Well maybe Alan will chime in. I thought of needing the glass installed in order to line up the rubber so you confirmed so I'll hold off for a week or so so I can get this figured out.

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

you have to tuck in the larger lip first & then compress the small lip into the trim & work your way along

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Aar1064

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 12, 2017, 06:08:31 PM
you have to tuck in the larger lip first & then compress the small lip into the trim & work your way along

So tuck in the outer and then work in the inner? I tried it several ways even with a plastic spreader but maybe adhesive would help.

Thanks for the help

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 12, 2017, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 12, 2017, 06:08:31 PM

So tuck in the outer and then work in the inner? I tried it several ways even with a plastic spreader but maybe adhesive would help.

Thanks for the help
Tuck the big bottom in so that little lip catches on the ledge at the rear. Then work that little outer lip in the small channel as you go. I used a decal squeegee to tuck it in the small channel. Slow, uncomfortable and awkward body position.  I hated every minute of it. Somebody may have a different way of doing it but this is what worked for me. Getting it to stay on the back ledge while you go is a real hassle. Keeps trying to come out on you.   :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

That's exactly how I do it. Small decal squeegee. Go carefully and you'll get it.
Sheldon

Aar1064

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 13, 2017, 05:25:59 PM
That's exactly how I do it. Small decal squeegee. Go carefully and you'll get it.

Ok I'm on it now. I put my original rubber in and it looks identical (wide with opening at front, narrow and closed at roof) but fits a little better. Now that I know all is good its just a matter of finessing.

Thanks for the help EBO

Cuda Cody

Glad it worked.  It's funny how when we do things our self we expect perfection, but the factory was anything but perfect.  Most cars restored today (especially by guys like you) the end results is much better then these cars were new.

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 14, 2017, 10:47:07 AM

Ok I'm on it now. I put my original rubber in and it looks identical (wide with opening at front, narrow and closed at roof) but fits a little better. Now that I know all is good its just a matter of finessing.

Thanks for the help EBO

Aar1064

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 14, 2017, 10:53:39 AM
Glad it worked.  It's funny how when we do things our self we expect perfection, but the factory was anything but perfect.  Most cars restored today (especially by guys like you) the end results is much better then these cars were new.

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 14, 2017, 10:47:07 AM

Thanks for the help EBO

Yeah you're right about that. On top of that I wasted everyone's time when I should've thought just to pull the originals down.   :pullinghair:

Chryco Psycho

You did not waste anyones time , someone would ask the same question & it has been answered

Cuda Cody

Yea, don't ever feel bad about asking a question.  You might have your originals, but the next guy might not.  It's always better to ask then to guess... and someone that has the same question will now be able to find this helpful.   :bigthumb: 

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 16, 2017, 04:15:22 AM
Yeah you're right about that. On top of that I wasted everyone's time when I should've thought just to pull the originals down.   :pullinghair: