Main Menu

More Hyundai Seats

Started by gzig5, December 09, 2020, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

So after seeing @Brads70 and @Cudajason posts on installing the Hyundai Tiberon seats I've been looking for a couple years online for a set.  Came across a couple grimey sets of clothe ones, but not the nicer black leather or whatever the material is.  I saw a post on CL a couple weeks ago for a set of seats from a 2013 Hyundai Veloster for $50.  They looked nice and seemed to be similar to the Tiburon seats so I made the drive and paid the man.  Another plus is the gray accent will play off the Silver Frost color of the Cuda, they have electric heaters, and the driver side has electric lumbar support.  Downside is the Turbo embroidery and they have integrated air bags.  Two days later I go to a new to me pick n pull with a friend and lo and behold, they have four Tiberons, and one with the leather seats, which are a bit worn.  Figures, I look for two years and make another selection and then find what I was looking originally.  Anyway, I held off on the Tiburon seats for now.  I test fit the Veloster today and am a bit concerned about the space available under the wheel. I will be going with a slightly smaller Tuff Wheel, but it looks like it might be tight and I'm worried these seats are taller than the Tiburon.  Before I get too much work into the brackets I was hoping Brad or Jason could measure from the bottom of the seat track to the thigh cushion on your setup?  Looks like I need to lop off the factory brackets, which will bring them down a bit too.  I've got Jason's thread bookmarked  https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/my-seat-project/2457/   but I don't think I can get away with the height of the original slides.  They are going to need to be as low as they can go.  Appreciate any comments.  Here are pics of the seats I got, which seem a little lower profile than the Tiburon ones in the shoulder area, the junkyard option, and the test fit.

Sorry for rotated pics.  This site won't let me post stuff right side up from my iPhone.

Brads70

I got about 6" for the dimension you asked for. Yes those seats you got look taller, not sure they will work?  :notsure:

Brads70

gzig5

The pics in your old thread are helpful. 
I'm getting right at 8" from the bottom of the slide to the front of the cushion.  There is some sort of elevation mechanism on these that that Tiburon seats don't have and that aperatus raises the whole thing up off the slides.  I "may" be able to hack some of that out but I don't know if I can get it all the way down to 6".  Need to remove the spacer arms and the slide will tilt closer to the seat in the front.  We shall see.  I have $50 and some gas invested in these so far and if I have to toss them it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what I've dumped into the car elsewhere. 

Regarding the Tiburon seats, were you able to get them cleaned up and the cracks restored?  The ones I have access to aren't terrible but definitely have some areas that I'd like to restore if I get them.   I've seen some pretty ratty BMW seats brought back to like new, but wasn't sure if this material would support that kind of restoration.

Cudajason

I agree with Brad, about 6 inches. See the pics below.

With the mounts Keep in mine I used the factory mount on the inboard side and the seats are direct to the floor on the outboard side. The flor is uneven so you have to do something there.

The seats are tight to the steering wheel, i only really notice it getting in to the car.

I have not attempted to fix the cracks in the vinyl. Mine are rough too, but the fit the rest of the car that way! :D
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Moprr

I was looking at the veloster seats at one point, I don't think the passenger seat folds down to give access to the rear if that matters to you. 

gzig5

Quote from: Moprr on December 09, 2020, 05:12:47 PM
I was looking at the veloster seats at one point, I don't think the passenger seat folds down to give access to the rear if that matters to you.
The passenger seat I have doesn't have an extra quick release lever, but it will tilt forward with the adjustment arm to the same level as the driver side. 
I'm a bit bummed, because I fit the upper part of these seats a little better than the Tiburon.  I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs and it seems like a lot of the sport seats I've tried out were made for 18 year old 165 lb drivers.  That bus left the station a looooong time ago.

Brads70

That extra 2" would be a deal breaker I think? Another plus for the Tiberon seats is there is no wiring , no electric motors all manual adjustments. making them lighter too?

gzig5

These are not lightweights.  If I can't lower them they are done.
Saw some neon srt4 seats online that looked nice and may have potential. At least now I havdd SR some dimensions to go by now.

JonH

Quote from: gzig5 on December 10, 2020, 06:54:10 PM
These are not lightweights.  If I can't lower them they are done.
Saw some neon srt4 seats online that looked nice and may have potential. At least now I havdd SR some dimensions to go by now.

Scarf up those neon seats. They are almost a direct bolt in. Do a search here or on cc.com as several others have done this swap.

FSHTAIL

Not sure if it matters, but the NST4 Vipers don't kick forward by much for rear passenger entry.   

Sedans don't need to kick forward because of 4 doors.   

Just a heads up, I was disappointed, sold mine.. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

soundcontrol

My vote is still for the Z06 Corvette seats. I like the slick look, they sit low, very adjustable, easy to mount.
I bought another pair now, all black, for the Challenger.

Cudajason

Quote from: soundcontrol on December 31, 2020, 06:45:49 AM
My vote is still for the Z06 Corvette seats. I like the slick look, they sit low, very adjustable, easy to mount.
I bought another pair now, all black, for the Challenger.

Those do look intersiting.

@soundcontrol could you take some measurements and show how high off the floor those seats are?

Thanks,

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cudajason on January 05, 2021, 06:36:28 AM

@soundcontrol could you take some measurements and show how high off the floor those seats are?

@Cudajason

Yes, I just put the Barracuda away, we got snow, but next time I'm at that garage I will measure. Here is some more pictures, very easy to mod. the rails, you can use the existing brackets, just drill out the rivets, shorten 2 brackets for the difference in height on e-body floors, and weld them to the rails. The seats are pretty much in stock position, but it's adjustable up and down (not the passenger seat) so now my wife can drive it without sitting on 2 phonebooks and a pillow :)
I like them a lot. On Corvette forums some people say that you need the car computer etc to run the seats in another car (there is a computerbox under the driver seat), and that they are very hard to rewire in another car....but thats BS, its very easy, I figured it out, 12V to the main relays and 12V to the computer box plus ground, they work fine.

Cudajason

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 05, 2021, 06:53:15 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on January 05, 2021, 06:36:28 AM

@Cudajason

Yes, I just put the Barracuda away, we got snow, but next time I'm at that garage I will measure. Here is some more pictures, very easy to mod. the rails, you can use the existing brackets, just drill out the rivets, shorten 2 brackets for the difference in height on e-body floors, and weld them to the rails. The seats are pretty much in stock position, but it's adjustable up and down (not the passenger seat) so now my wife can drive it without sitting on 2 phonebooks and a pillow :)
I like them a lot. On Corvette forums some people say that you need the car computer etc to run the seats in another car (there is a computerbox under the driver seat), and that they are very hard to rewire in another car....but thats BS, its very easy, I figured it out, 12V to the main relays and 12V to the computer box plus ground, they work fine.

Thanks man  @soundcontrol .  when ever you get a chance is cool. 

Do you know what year vette the seats came out of?  I love the idea of power seats!

I have to tell you though, that stock hounds tooth interior looks awesome!    I had a GC parts car that had that interior, I kept all the pieces but stored them at my dad's, they all went missing sometime ago. 

Jason