Main Menu

My backup camera solution

Started by Katfish, March 16, 2024, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Here's a cheap and easy backup camera option for E-Bodies.
My Challenger has the stupid SE rear window, that along with a small floppy passenger side mirror makes for a terrible blind spot.

I got this on Amazon for only $35, and it works great.  I wired it to be constantly on.
Added a Velco strip so it can be easily removed, and ran the hard wire through the interior to plate.

I can now see cars beside me, may need to tweak the aim for more bias towards passenger side.

Pros:
- It's cheap, only $35
- Hard wired, looked at WiFi options, but all reviews complained about phone issues
-  Helps with blind spot, along with the usual backing up
-  Easily disconnected for removal
-  Nice 4.3" size screen, fits perfect in ashtray
-  Did I meation it's cheap..........

Cons:
- Have to leave ashtray open, although it comes with suction cup for windshield
- 140 deg view angle, 180 deg might be better for blind spot issue
- Had to mount camera on front side of plate because of the factory license plate light interference
- Drillled holes in ashtray mount and trunk for wiring.  My car is far from original, so this didn't bother me

71GranCoupe

chargerdon

Whats behind you is not important !!

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

That's still a pretty decent camera view for how close to the bumper it is. I thought about a camera there at one time but didn't think it would work out too well.
Not sure if I'm sold on it but definitely something to contemplate. Think I might put one on my Wrangler first. I get the Jeep in a lot tighter situations...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill