Main Menu

My seat project...

Started by Cudajason, June 24, 2017, 08:54:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Brad, you never cease to amaze me with your ability to "get'er done". Nice job, buddy! Ian
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on July 04, 2017, 06:37:40 PM
Found these pictures.... hope it helps

Your mounts look an awful lot like some mounts I made a few years ago...

First shot shows how I set levels from door sill to door sill since the floor on my wagon isn't the same from side to side....  Originally a bench seat car, I had to reinforce the floor, on my first mock up I didn't have the steering column in the car & I centered the buckets between the sill & the hump... Big mistake, The seat was about 2" off center to the steering column....

You need to pay attention to getting the elevation, front to rear tilt, side to side position & level plus the fore & aft location correct or you won't be happy with the install long term....

In the past I've seen to many cars where the seats were thrown in & the mounting wasn't well thought out...

If you use the OE seat brackets it takes allot of the problems out of the equation

Brads70

I took the opportunity to move the seats back a few inches while I was at it. I can move the seat all the way back till it's touching the rear seat if I want.  I was tired of driving with my legs at a 45 degree angle LOL . Also while I never bothered with using the stock seat mounts because I wanted it moved back, the bigger issue is the space between the bottom of the steering wheel and the bottom seat section. For this reason I made my own as you need all the space you can get in this area IMO.
The 2 outside mounts are flat/at the same heights but the inside mounts are at 2 different heights.  I used the pictured button head socket head cap screws to bolt the seat to the new mounts, just drill/grind off the Hyundai mounts. I think I had to grind a slight flat spot to get them to fit in the channel. You need button heads as space is limited , otherwise it hits the track when moving the seat. I also moved/added should style belts  as it hit the outside seat belt. I'm 6'1" so I wanted/needed more leg room.
For the threaded part that bolts to the floor I used set screws with threadlocker ( drilled and tapped the weldment)   and used the stock nuts from underneath.
That's all I can remember for now... let me know if I can help when you go to install them!

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 04, 2017, 10:57:21 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on July 04, 2017, 06:37:40 PM
Found these pictures.... hope it helps

Your mounts look an awful lot like some mounts I made a few years ago...

First shot shows how I set levels from door sill to door sill since the floor on my wagon isn't the same from side to side....  Originally a bench seat car, I had to reinforce the floor, on my first mock up I didn't have the steering column in the car & I centered the buckets between the sill & the hump... Big mistake, The seat was about 2" off center to the steering column....

You need to pay attention to getting the elevation, front to rear tilt, side to side position & level plus the fore & aft location correct or you won't be happy with the install long term....

In the past I've seen to many cars where the seats were thrown in & the mounting wasn't well thought out...

If you use the OE seat brackets it takes allot of the problems out of the equation

Thanks guys,  these both give me some good ideas on how to build the mounts.

@1 Wild R/T please share some details on the wagon...looks cool.

I initially wanted to use the stock brackets, but I think doing so will effect the operation of the seat.  These seats fold forward, handy for the kids getting into the back seat. and when you do the seats slide foreword.  I doubt that would work with the e-body seat tracks.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudajason on July 05, 2017, 05:51:12 PM

@1 Wild R/T please share some details on the wagon...looks cool.

Jason

It's not..... But it will be.... :haha:  It's a 65 Ford Falcon 2Dr wagon...I picked it up to haul my dogs around but as usual I can't leave stuff alone.....  Tons of custom tweaks from little stuff to pretty major mods....

If it were a Mopar I'd do a build thread but since it's a Ford & this is a Mopar site complete with plenty of "Mopar or No Car" types who don't know what they are missing I'll just keep it semi low key...

But I will say for a low budget deal it's amazing how easy it is to have EFI, AOD, 4 wheel discs etc all very cheap....

Cudajason

Well, I am finally getting around to this project.

Car is down for a while, so while it is still warm out I figure I can get some stuff done.

Here are some pics of my mock up using some thinner steel, to adapt the factory mounting brackets to the Tiburon seats.

I have a large plate of 1/4 inch steel for my final set up once I am comfortable it will work as planed.

Any thoughts on the plan are appreciated.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

When I installed the Tiberon seats in the Challenger I bought an extra pair, I'm going to install them in the Javelin. .....might as well they are paid for and just sitting in the basement.

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 09, 2019, 05:58:23 PM
When I installed the Tiberon seats in the Challenger I bought an extra pair, I'm going to install them in the Javelin. .....might as well they are paid for and just sitting in the basement.

Rereading your original CC.com thread, I saw your comment that you bought two sets and wondered in one might end up in the Javelin.

Cudajason

Finally got a chance to pull the car out and test my mounting brackets.

Worked like a charm!!! :banana:

Thes pics the seat is mounted and bolted  into the factory locations.

The seat seems like it is a bit close to the centre console, but the stock seats seem to that way too. I may try to move the seats over a little bit, not sure.

Next step is to pull out the driver's seat and get to work on cutting the 1/4 inch brackets!!

Brads70

Nice! You will enjoy them! I find them SOOO much more comfortable than the factory seats!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Sigh...my life has been crazy, work has kept me very occupied the last few months and I have had virtually no time to spend in the garage.

I managed ti find some time last night and got all my brackets for the seats cut out of 1/4 steel plate and all the holes drilled.

I need to clean them all up on the bench grinder, paint them and get the proper mounting hardware, but at least its progress. Felt good too!

I expect January to be crazy at work, but I hope to find some time to finish these up and start my trans swap! 

Jason

Cudajason

Well I decided I needed some spacers under the mounts that attach to the existing seat tracks in order to allow sliders to work properly. The bolts were catching in a few spots and not allowing the full range of motion.

I finished those up last night so now all I need to do is some finish grinding and fitting the paint them all.

Given the weather here in the great white north will not be warm enough to paint (I am just going to spray bomb them outside) I am going to put this project aside for a few months.

Jason

Cudajason

Over the last couple of weekend I cleaned up and painted the mounting brackets I made over the winter and got my seats installed.

Not sure I like them yet...the seam to sit a little higher then I expected, but I will see what its like once I get to take a spin!

At least I have one project ticked off the list!

Brads70

Looks great! You will enjoy them, nice upgrade from the stock seats!  :bravo: