Main Menu

Mystery insulation pieces

Started by Mrbill426, May 18, 2020, 07:52:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I have a couple of original insulation pieces that neither one was included in my replacement insulation kits for firewall and A/C.  Can anyone tell me where these two go?  Fortunately they are in good shape. 
Thanks!

:wrenching:

soccernut43

The one on the right for sure looks like it goes over the upper door bolts space down near where the kick plates on the side go.  I'm currently working in that area on the drivers side and that piece keeps falling out as I'm working on the wiring lol.

JS29

Quote from: soccernut43 on May 18, 2020, 08:06:48 AM
The one on the right for sure looks like it goes over the upper door bolts space down near where the kick plates on the side go.  I'm currently working in that area on the drivers side and that piece keeps falling out as I'm working on the wiring lol.
:iagree: Maybe look on the other side to see if the other piece go's there.  :idea:

anlauto

The one on the right glues to the plastic kick panel. The one on the left mounts in the top corner of the door post :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Ok here is a shot of my new kick panel set along with the one old pictured (right).  The smaller pad is supposed to replace it?  They are indeed the same size but the new as some obvious added cuts to it, and it's backwards  :huh:   One kick panel used two pads while the other uses one?  I wonder why neither of the two kits included the pad that mounts in the top corner of the door post.  I have a duplicate pad in that the A/C box pad also came in the A/C rebuild kit; one is thicker than the other.

Appreciate the help guys!

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 08:16:59 AM
The one on the right glues to the plastic kick panel. The one on the left mounts in the top corner of the door post :alan2cents:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mrbill426

Oh for crying out loud  :pullinghair:  if you (not "you") are going to make a kit.. make a KIT and be done with it!  Now I feel like a dog chasing its own tail here  :headbang:
I also have a large (original) rectangular jute piece with some cut outs alone one side that appears to have been glued on.  What is it called and where exactly does is go??
The old one is pretty trashed.  It is not the trunk divider jute; I do have that new.

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 09:45:27 AM
That is an incomplete kit you have there. A proper kit has six pieces  :alan2cents:

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/kick-panel-insulation-70-74-e-body/

Burdar

There was never any trunk divider jute.  There was just the cardboard trunk divider with nothing on it.

There was insulation on the upper cowl.  Maybe that's what you still have?

Mrbill426

That might be what it is, it is that big and no hard backing.  So it would go on first before anything else I assume?  What is it marketed as or am I going to need to make one?
I don't recognize that huge hard backed insulation on the passenger side; don't think I have that.  Maybe because mine is A/C?

Quote from: Burdar on May 18, 2020, 11:02:48 AM
There was never any trunk divider jute.  There was just the cardboard trunk divider with nothing on it.

There was insulation on the upper cowl.  Maybe that's what you still have?

anlauto

Your AC firewall won't have one big piece like Darren's picture it will have three small pieces....Here's a picture of the two kits, firewall and kick panel together...

Mrbill426

Thanks, I will lay them out and see what's up.  What about that larger jute "blanket"?  I assume it goes on with adhesive.

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 04:48:44 PM
Your AC firewall won't have one big piece like Darren's picture it will have three small pieces....Here's a picture of the two kits, firewall and kick panel together...

anlauto

These cars NEVER came with a "large jute blanket" so I guess it doesn't really matter where or how you use it..................

Unless it's a headliner insulation kit ?

Mrbill426

This jute... took the car apart almost 10 years ago and only have the old piece.

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 07:05:55 PM
These cars NEVER came with a "large jute blanket" so I guess it doesn't really matter where or how you use it..................

Mrbill426

This is my 2 kits and the A/C box kit.

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 04:48:44 PM

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 18, 2020, 07:16:17 PM
This jute... took the car apart almost 10 years ago and only have the old piece.

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2020, 07:05:55 PM

That is the upper cowl insulation....shown as dark grey in Darren's pictures above...it glues on to the cowl :alan2cents: