Main Menu

Need seat tracks modified

Started by 70rag383, March 31, 2020, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70rag383

Hi All,

I'm looking to modify my seat tracks so the seat sits closer to the floor pan. I find I sit too high in the seat. I'm 6-1 and my head comes very close to my convertible top.

I know Cody is the seat track expert here - Cody, your thoughts on this?

kawahonda

Wow! Are verts different than hard tops?

6'4 and the challenger feels like sitting on the floor.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

Put the roof down  :twothumbsup:

I think you need to find away to move the seat back, as it goes back it gets lower... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

It takes some work but you need to widen the floor pan section under the seat so it sits down lower. That is what you do to make say a modern Challenger seat fit low enough in an E-body.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on March 31, 2020, 08:00:25 PM
I think you need to find away to move the seat back, as it goes back it gets lower... :alan2cents:

:iagree:   I'm 6'1" and had a hard time with driving position in ebodies as well. Well, most cars really not just ebodies.... The seat needs to go back more than down I find as I'm long legged. I've done this one on a couple ebody's , works great and although its a small distance it makes a big difference. Pretty cheap to make/try first before you get into serious mods.  About half way down this link, look for member " Filmsurgeon "   Hope that helps!  :cheers:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1416184/all/e-body-leg-room-or-lack-of.html

70rag383

Thanks Brad. We're on the same page and I've gone thru Filmsurgeon's post and photos and they are very helpful. I've purchased the seat relocation brackets from YearOne and will be installing them soon to see if it makes a difference. Sounds like you have done this and it does make a difference.

fyi, I have sat in a few ebodies with the seat all the way back (with no mods) and sit comfortably and lower. not sure why mine is different. You would think they would all have the same seat locations but clearly they don't. Yes, my car was restored with new floor pans but I can't imagine there would be that much of a variance. Do you have similar experience?

BIGSHCLUNK

Common issues for us in the 6 foot + club....  :yes: 

RUNCHARGER

I'm 6'1" and I find them tight but okay. Stock steering wheel doesn help and there's no room to wear a hat for sure. I think even 2" back will help a lot.
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: 70rag383 on April 01, 2020, 10:03:15 AM
Thanks Brad. We're on the same page and I've gone thru Filmsurgeon's post and photos and they are very helpful. I've purchased the seat relocation brackets from YearOne and will be installing them soon to see if it makes a difference. Sounds like you have done this and it does make a difference.

fyi, I have sat in a few ebodies with the seat all the way back (with no mods) and sit comfortably and lower. not sure why mine is different. You would think they would all have the same seat locations but clearly they don't. Yes, my car was restored with new floor pans but I can't imagine there would be that much of a variance. Do you have similar experience?

These ones? https://www.yearone.com/Product/Chrysler-A-Body/SB246#prettyPhoto[part]/0/

If so be aware they are not the same thing as the link from Moparts. These ones bolt to the floor and looks like you need to drill holes?  I have heard the 6 way adjustable seat mounts make the headroom issue worse . Not sure if you have that option or not? 
Very simple and cheap to make your own, just need some 3/16 material and drill some holes and a countersink.  As far as I know the seat location never changed so I'm not sure why you experienced a difference?

jamesroney

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on April 01, 2020, 10:49:13 AM
Common issues for us in the 6 foot + club....  :yes:

Here is one problem with being in the "club".  I'm 6'-3".  35 inch inseam.  On my 2013 Chevy Volt, I found that if I moved the seat position to accommodate my legs...I had to put the seat back fully upright, and lean forward to reach the steering wheel.  The only compromise was to move the seat forward so that I could comfortably grip the wheel.  I didn't remember it being so uncomfortable when I bought the car.

I drove that car for 3 years, and 140,000 miles that way...then sold it.  On the day I delivered it to the new owner, I complained to my wife that I always hated the car because of the steering wheel position.  She said: "Why didn't you just telescope the steering wheel closer to you?"

I informed her that the steering wheel doesn't "telescope."

She said: "Of course it does. I moved it 3 years ago when we brought it home..."

BS23N0E

bc3j

I'm 6'4'' 35" inseam also and I sit low in the seat. I've installed the 1/2" spacers under the seat bolts and it's comfortable. I still have better than a hand's width over my head and still have sufficient legroom under the stock steering wheel.

70rag383

what are the 1/2" spacers? where exactly do you install them?

Brads70

Quote from: 70rag383 on April 02, 2020, 05:01:33 AM

They are installed between the seat tracks and the floor. They go over the studs that go thru the floor. 1 1/2" -2" diameter.

bc3j

Quote from: 70rag383 on April 02, 2020, 05:01:33 AM
I bought them a while ago online from a Mopar parts supplier. Sorry, can't remember who. As far as I know, they were dealer installed to suit customers needs. Not sure if that is absolutely correct, but the guys here should have a better answer about that. I just Googled Mopar seat spacers.

70rag383

Sorry I'm a little confused...wouldn't installing the seat spacers make the seat sit higher from the floor? I'm looking for a solution that makes the seat sit lower to the floor.