Main Menu

NEEDED Pictures of rear seat removal

Started by cuda hunter, February 23, 2017, 06:41:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I'm sending my cousin who absolutely does not work on cars down to look at a barracuda for me. 
I need some pictures to show him how to remove the rear seat to see if there is a build sheet.

Can anyone help with some how to pictures?  My rear seats are covered up pretty good and I can't find any pictures in my picture folders.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

Reach between the top and bottom rear seat frames.  There will be 2 bolts (one on each side) that keep the top seat frame in place.  Once you remove the 2 bolts the top will come out and allow you to lift the bottom seat frame up.  The bolt area is circled in red.

cuda hunter

thanks for the pictures and the order of the procedure. 

Are those bolts 9/16"?   That's just what I remember.

I know he will have to carry several tools.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

headejm

cuda hunter

thanks.   Hopefully they are the correct bolts. 

Cudajason

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 23, 2017, 06:48:53 PM
Reach between the top and bottom rear seat frames.  There will be 2 bolts (one on each side) that keep the top seat frame in place.  Once you remove the 2 bolts the top will come out and allow you to lift the bottom seat frame up.  The bolt area is circled in red.

There are supposed to be bolts in there...really?  Does the wire loop from the seat back go over or in the brackets???

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cuda Cody

I think they only fit one way.  In Front of it.  It does seem like it would go "in" it, but they go in front and you can push down from the top really good and get the top nice and flush.  Plus that will help close the gap between the top and bottom section of the rear seat so you don't see body color through it.

Quote from: Cudajason on March 07, 2017, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 23, 2017, 06:48:53 PM

There are supposed to be bolts in there...really?  Does the wire loop from the seat back go over or in the brackets???

jimynick

The easy way is to remove the lower cushion first and to do that you need to put a hand on the lower section of the lower seat frame in front of the footwells and give it a hard and sudden push backwards. You'll know if the frame comes off the hook in the floor and then lift up and it'll come out and away. THEN remove the upper frame bolts as they can be a SOB to access with the lwr still in place. To replace, just hang the upper, replace it's lwr bolts and then shove the lwr section in under that and repeat the push to re-hook it. You'll get what I'm talking about more once you get the lwr out and look at the floor hook. They can be stubborn- be advised. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

318Stroker

Here's a little trick I learned to remove the stubborn back seat bottom, which needs to come out first. Move your front seats all the way forward. I then crawl in the rear footwell with my feet against the back of the front seat bottoms, knees against the bottom vertical part of the rear seat. This gives me plenty of down-low pushing leverage against the rear seat as I lift with my hands. Works great for me.

cuda hunter

Cool.  Thanks.

turns out that the floor was so rusted out that the seat was able to just be lifted up.  It brought the hooks up with it. 

super super super rusty car. 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Shoooter

cuda hunter

Nope.  No build sheet no fender tag.  no information on the car. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: jimynick on March 07, 2017, 06:58:14 PM
To replace, just hang the upper, replace it's lwr bolts and then shove the lwr section in under that and repeat the push to re-hook it. You'll get what I'm talking about more once you get the lwr out and look at the floor hook. They can be stubborn- be advised. Good luck  :cheers:

Not to take over the thread but a relevant question.  Does anyone have a gap between the rear seat bottom and top?  When I installed sound deadener and new carpet, I now have a gap between the bottom and top.  The bottom is hooked in and the top has the bolts on, just not sure how to adjust this.

Jay Bee

Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 19, 2017, 06:08:50 AM
Does anyone have a gap between the rear seat?
Yup, I have a huge gap if the seat bottom is hooked the normal way. I have to hook it all the way to the rear of those brackets, you know, behind the brackets. Really makes it a pain when the seat bottom needs to be removed.