Main Menu

Who repairs speedometers?

Started by blown motor, February 15, 2023, 04:52:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Isn't there some some service that will repair your speedometer? Who is that?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

I had mine done by Redline Gauge Works

https://redlinegaugeworks.com/

Good experience with customer service and turn around time. 

B5fourspeed

I had my gauges done by redline also.The turnaround was good and the communication was great.The quality of work was excellent.

Racer57

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on February 15, 2023, 06:16:24 AM
Your friend Mr. Heaterbox ? :dunno:

:stop:

I guess it'll be Redline but oh my! $500 just to restore the speedometer.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jay Bee

Which vehicle because the OER one for your '74 Challenger is cheaper.

https://www.oerparts.com/product/2985954.html

anlauto

I've used a couple of those OER ones, they're nice :twothumbsup:

blown motor

It's for the Charger. It has/had an OER one in it that was screwing up with less than 1000 miles on it. A new one is $370. I'll send the original to Redline for rebuild and restoration. It will cost $500! But I'd rather spend $500 with them than $370 on another Taiwanese one.

anlauto

blown motor

I'd rather keep  it original plus I'm sure I can't do DD for $500.

Racer57

I'm assuming your needle was bouncing then broke off. If so, do not replace the speedometer without replacing the cable. Odds are the cable is hanging up a little which causes the needle to bounce. Dent even screw with lubing the original, just get a new one and save the headache of possibly having to replace the speedometer a second time.

jimynick

There used to be several local places like Schlicter's in Kitchener, but they're all gone. Before I dropped $500 US, I'd beat the bushes a bit more in Ontario. Failing that, is there not a used one at a reasonable price?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: Racer57 on February 15, 2023, 08:01:14 PM
I'm assuming your needle was bouncing then broke off. If so, do not replace the speedometer without replacing the cable. Odds are the cable is hanging up a little which causes the needle to bounce. Dent even screw with lubing the original, just get a new one and save the headache of possibly having to replace the speedometer a second time.

No, the needle is fine, it was just sticking and didn't always want to return to 0. Then it would go up even further. At the end it was stuck at 150. I think the little spring that returns it to 0 is too weak on the OER unit but that's just my guess. I think I will replace the cable even though it was new with the restoration. They didn't route it properly and it had a curl in it under the dash, I could here it squeaking. There goes another $50.  :takemymoney:

Quote from: jimynick on February 15, 2023, 08:04:52 PM
There used to be several local places like Schlicter's in Kitchener, but they're all gone. Before I dropped $500 US, I'd beat the bushes a bit more in Ontario. Failing that, is there not a used one at a reasonable price?  :huh:

I have a used one, it's the original one from the car. All of the guages have been replaced so of course they look new. I'm having the original restored so it looks new also. I just hope it's the same new look as the rest but I think the font for the numbers is going to be a wee bit different. OER didn't use the exact same font as original and I'll bet Redline does. Likely noone will notice.