Main Menu

New Seatbelt webbing

Started by tparker, December 23, 2022, 03:42:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I was reading the "Bill Edwards Seat Belts" thread and was thinking of other options. My seatbelts webbing is trashed. The buckles are good enough. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to buy new webbing, but they seem to be sewn in. Shouldn't be a big deal, but I don't know. Is this something any upholstry shop should be able to do or is there something special about it? Besides sending them to Bill, what other options are out there?

I am not concerned with 100% accurate. Reasonable is OK.

JH27N0B

I'm only aware of one other seatbelt restoration service, but I've heard they're expensive?
https://sharonswebseatbeltrestoration.com/
I've not heard of anyone redoing their own webbing, but have heard of people successfully cleaning up seatbelts that are really filthy and moldy.
On one of my cars I got a set of BE&A seatbelts for it, which were reasonable.  PG Classics still sells them I think? They are pretty good.  No tags but ECS sells repos which can be sewn on.

Marty

Check into Ssnake-Oyl .

I've used them to restore my Corvette seatbelts. They sell the webbing separately too.

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

anlauto

I just buy reproductions from PG Classics :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tedsweet

i have found no local shop will accept the liability of sewing on seat belts

tparker

Thanks all. I'll check into these sites. Maybe one will workout.

@anlauto that would be good if I needed complete seatbelts. My hardware is fine and it just needs the webbing. Webbing is relatively cheap and it just requires stitching. Technically this shouldn't be an issue and shouldn't be all that expensive. But as tedsweet mentioned, I can see people shying away becuase of liability. Though that shouldn't be an issue

Here is an interesting related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6buu7PqT4

70/6chall

I really don't need any seat belt work personally. I used the 3-point belts out of a '74 Challengerand everything went in and bolted up perfectly in my '70 Challenger. I cleaned up the webbing myself from its grungyness  by soaking the webbing in a bucket of hot soapy water and scrub brush they looked new. The plastic and chrome turned out beautiful and the push buttons front and back work like new. They work just like the belts in a new car. But I was thinking you guys are having a hard time finding someone to sew up belts for you due to liability restrictions. Have you ever thought about a pararigger at a local municipal airport. Since they are used to sewing up chutes and seat harness webbing and such. Why not auto seat belt webbing they have the knowledge and the machines to execute the job. You don't know until you ask.

tparker

Awesome idea. Not sure if we have any around here, but we do have some parachute jumping companies. I can ask around.

Skdmark

The PG seatbelts I bought from Rosevile came with a disclaimer in the package that they are not DOT approved. The manufacturer is not liable etc.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

mk

Quote from: tparker on December 27, 2022, 09:18:41 AM
Awesome idea. Not sure if we have any around here, but we do have some parachute jumping companies. I can ask around.
I would like to do a set of belts as well and am watching this thread closely........ another thing worth considering is looking into what thread seat belt webbing requires.

anlauto

Quote from: tparker on December 27, 2022, 09:18:41 AM

Yes and I think it's the same with any restored seat belts, nobody wants to be on the hook. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

@mk The video I posted the link to discusses this. I think it is s strong nylon blend or something similar. Seatbelts aren't anything special, just good thread with the proper sewing pattern to reinforce the stitching. I figure some companies don't want the liability, but there should be nothing to it if you do it properly.  There are known stitching patterns with the strength multiplier so it can be calculated.

@Skdmark That is funny that they sell seatbelts but put a disclaimer. LOL. Although DOT isn't the end all anyways. There are many motorcycle ratings, many that exceed the DOT standards but aren't DOT approved.

MoparLeo

The liability would be yours if someone riding in your car was injured due to a belt failure in an accident. Sh*t happens.
Safety is always first. Check with a body shop that does insurance work for Auto insurance companies. They have to meet OEM standards on all insurance work.
In the grand scheme of things, how much do the proper belts cost in relation to what they provide and what the rest of the cars cost/value is ? 
                                                                     " Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten "

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...