Main Menu

Map light switch - which way is “off”?

Started by Dakota, January 19, 2020, 06:46:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm going to be putting in a basic toggle switch for my map light instead of one of the $$$ ones available on eBay.   I have a little grinding to do to get the switch to fit the notch in the switch label, so I thought I might as well set up it up with the correct orientation.  Left? Right? Towards the engine? Towards the driver?

Dakota

Found the info below on the FABO site.   I thought the Map Light worked independently of other lights but that apparently is not the case as this post indicates it will only come on when the dome light is also on. This is something I'll have to look at more closely once I actually power up the car.

"Map light has +12v on one side of the lamp always!

The door switch's when activated provide a ground to the lamp through the map lamp switch as shown previously. The switch has 2 posts. When the switch is down the 2 posts are connected together and allow the ground from the door switch to pass through to the lamp. When the switch is up it directly connects the lamp side to ground. This can be a battery killer as previously mentioned. This is the way the factory did it!

Not all cars had the switch! Some just had the lamp and it turned on an off with the door switch's just like the dome lamp or c-pillar lamp for barracuda's."

Dakota

A few items to complete this thread in case anyone else needs the info.

This first picture is, I believe, an actual Map Light switch that I found listed on eBay.   The noteworthy items are that the switch is in the "off" position based on where it is compared to the terminals.   The flat spot (notch?) on the side of the switch is also visible. 

Dakota

This is a switch I bought on Amazon for just under $5.   I used a Dremel with a small grinding wheel to cut the notch, and then ran a file over it a couple of times to smooth it out.   I spent maybe 10 minutes total doing this.

The terminals on this toggle switch won't fit the stock wiring harness, so I'll end up make a pair of small jumpers.   I don't like taking apart stock connections if I can avoid it.

Dakota

These show the replacement toggle switch in relation to the switch bezel.  When mounted on the underside of the dash frame, "off" would be with the switch pointing towards the engine.

Most of the OE map light switches on eBay are listed for more than $100, so this was a $5 route to the same functionality and nearly the same appearance.  I now have a least one story for my wife about something for the car that didn't involve a large flaming pile of cash.    :D

Dakota

Lastly, this picture shows the map light switch harness and socket.  The pink wire will have positive battery voltage, so in this case the toggle switch is actually connecting the ground wires together (yellow into the switch and brown into the socket), much like the way the door dome light switches work.   For my car (A01 option), the yellow wire in the picture ends up being connected to the time delay relay and, I think, the dimmer circuit.

If you see something wrong with what I've written, please post a correction so there's an accurate record available for future searches. There were a number of posts on this on c-c.com but pictures aren't visible any longer.  Thanks.

Katfish

Nice job, good info, thx for posting the details.

70/6chall

Dakota, Say buddy I believe I have the OE factory switch your looking for. The Mopar part number is 2864243 and the application is 1968-76 A and E body cars. I checked continuity on it and it's working, it is used but is OE and will work in your application. Throw a shout out to me we will work something out.  Thanks,   Al

Dakota

Al - thanks for the offer!   I think I'm going to stick with the replacement switch as I don't have a show car or numbers matching type.   Hopefully there's another forum member out there looking for the correct OE switch and you can help them out.

70/6chall

Ok Dakota, Thanks for getting back with me. Take Care buddy,   Al