Main Menu

Options for getting rid of woodgrain on Rally dash?

Started by torredcuda, November 04, 2017, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Saw this at a car meet. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Tantster

This is what I did, Wanted to have modern gauges but that specific look that was originally on the car. Pain in the a--, but it turned out ok. Someone on CC.com had posted a picture of one he did, so I took his idea and made it work for me.

Cudajason

hey man, sorry about the delay...crazy at work and sick all weekend.

SO here is what I did and few more pics.

Basically the woodgrain piece on my dash and I assume any dash is a painted aluminum piece that is attached the black plastic gauge bezel.

Once you pull off the gauge bezel and flip it over you will see some small aluminum tabs that are bent over or twisted.  Carefully bend these straight and the aluminum piece should pull away from the black plastic. Same deal the switch panel.  On the second pick below you can see the small tabs that bend of the edge of the switch panel. 

I gently sanded all the woodgrain paint from the aluminum piece with red scotch bright pad. I also sanded all the brown paint off the recess for each gauge.

Sorry no pics of the process.

Form there I taped off all the areas I did not want to paint.

Important note, I did not want a polished finish on any of the non painted spots, so I carefully sanded them with the red scotch bright pad to achieve a machined or brushed finish.  Its hard to see in pics, but they are not polished. 

If you wanted those areas polished I would do that before painting.

Form there, I used and etch primer for aluminum and a satin black, both from a spray bomb.

I carefully reassembled the aluminum piece pack tot eh black plastic, carefully folding and or twisting the aluminum tabs for a tight fit.  I may have used some adhesive as well.  But use it sparingly.

Personally I love the look.  I have also blacked out the center console.

The most difficult part, other then pulling the dash apart is taking the aluminum piece off of the black plastic.

Here are a few pics of the dissembled bezels and everything back together.

I hope that helps.  Any questions let me know.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.