Main Menu

Package tray insulation panel

Started by Aar1064, March 18, 2017, 05:12:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

Does anyone know if the insulation panel piece that is glued to the actual package tray is being reproduced? I've never seen it available. It extends past the tray into the corners. These corners, of course are covered by the rear quarter inside panels..

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I don't think a very accurate reproduction has ever been made :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Following, i'm in the market for an insulated package tray myself.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Aar1064

I have the jute I just need the additional hard piece. Though the jute piece that I do have isn't long enough to reach corners. Not a problem to patch a piece in.

I've sent these pics to James Filmore of DMT and he's says he's saving for a machine that can cut the material. We may be in luck some time in the fall if he can swing it. Until then I need to make it. The material is similar to the original insulated pieces behind the kick panels and stuffed up in the A pillars and is about 1/8 inch thick.

Topcat

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2017, 06:29:10 AM
I don't think a very accurate reproduction has ever been made :alan2cents:

:iagree:

I recall mine when I took it out.

It had a thin type of tar over an insulation matting I recall.

Aar1064

:iagree: Wonder where material like that can be bought? It would be easy enough to cut it to match original.

Burdar

I think the replacement insulation I used was way too thick. There is no way the metal clips would have clipped in place. The rear seat and side panels are holding my package tray in.

Aar1064

Quote from: Burdar on March 18, 2017, 07:50:38 PM
I think the replacement insulation I used was way too thick. There is no way the metal clips would have clipped in place. The rear seat and side panels are holding my package tray in.

That's good to know.

Floyd

Thought I'd revive this old thread and provide an update on sourcing a more accurate package tray/insulation assembly for my 70 Challenger.  As already pointed out I this thread, the original package trays consisted of a masonite top tray (black on the upside, raw finish on the underside) glued to a solid fiber backed piece of approximately 1/4 Jute.

Pics of my original and another pic that a friend shared from his original T/A.

As you can see, the masonite top tray was cut shorter than the solid fiber backed Jute.  My original top tray measured 46" wide, which extends about 1" underneath  the 1/4 interior panel.  The insulation extends about another 4" on each side.

Floyd

After speaking with Mike Miller at REM I learned that they offer a "mastic-backed" Jute insulation for other models and that they could work up that product for my application.  The mastic backing is a thicker tar paper like material that is adhered to 1/4" thick Jute insulation.  Since REM doesn't sell direct, they recommended placing an order through one of the parts vendors. 

I worked with Tom at ECS and placed a custom order.  Pics attached of the REM product.

Floyd

The REM masonite package tray and mastic Jute insulation are cut to the same shape/dimensions.  The mastic backing is thinner than the original.  I'd estimate the original solid fiber backing is about 1/8" thick while the REM product is closer to 1/16" (it comes rolled up in a bag).

To match my original, I cut down the package tray to 46" width and then glued the insulation to the underside. 

Floyd

The only thing I couldn't faithfully duplicate was reattaching the retaining clips to the underside of the masonite package tray.  I tried tapping them in without any luck and wasn't convinced that any adhesive would be strong enough to hold while installing (or removing) the package tray.  They aren't crucial obviously, but it would have been nice.

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in getting this type of insulation you can order it through your favorite supplier.  Of course, I'd recommend Tom at ECS, who was super helpful.  Also, hats off to Mike Miller at REM, who is a Mopar guy and who was also super helpful!

DeathProofCuda

@Floyd Thank you.  That is a great update to this thread.  Can you give us an idea of what you paid for the custom order of the backing material?

Floyd

Sure - It was $95 for the package tray and $30 for the Mastic Jute plus shipping.

I have the part number for the Challenger package tray.  I believe there are several material choices.  I wanted the masonite since it is closest to original IMO.  Mine obviously is the no rear speaker slot option.