Main Menu

Paint on the dash frame

Started by nsmall, September 18, 2017, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I'm basically down to my last part to restore which is the dash.  The gauges are out as I had them restored.  I have a new pad to install.

I'm debating whether or not I should paint the whole thing as it looks decent.  So in the photos below does any of this get exposed as a lot of it seems like it will be covered up by trim?

Thanks

CudaMoparRay

Probably will not show but seeing as you have gone this far, why not paint all of it? :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Definitely paint the whole thing. You have come to far to leave that. Great piece of mind knowing it's all nice and fresh. Do the glove box door and ashtray at the same time so everything will have the same sheen and look nice.

750-h2

To get the proper "Suede" look you can paint the dash frame, glove box door and ashtray with a neutral colour of Restoleum FINE Textured paint. You then top coat this with the colour of your choice. This method works great! :bigthumb:

MoparDave

just remember after painting the frame. To bare all chassis contact pointes so the frame has grounds contact to the body. This is the single biggest issue with gauges and wiring issues once cars are put back together. Same as with the engine and trunk compartments.  NO ground = headaches.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Mrbill426

Would their black textured paint be correct on it's own, for black dashes?  Or universal satin black maybe?  Don't know how true is is but I have heard that rustoleum sometimes does not play well with other finishes; is this true? :dunno:

:wrenching:

Quote from: 750-h2 on September 18, 2017, 05:57:31 AM
To get the proper "Suede" look you can paint the dash frame, glove box door and ashtray with a neutral colour of Restoleum FINE Textured paint. You then top coat this with the colour of your choice. This method works great! :bigthumb:

Burdar

I don't think 73s should have the textured paint like other years.  My 73 didn't.  I sprayed my dash frame with SEM Trim Black and it was a perfect match.

750-h2

Quote from: Mrbill426 on September 18, 2017, 08:01:55 AM
Would their black textured paint be correct on it's own, for black dashes?  Or universal satin black maybe?  Don't know how true is is but I have heard that rustoleum sometimes does not play well with other finishes; is this true? :dunno:

I used the Dupont dye paints for the dash and plastics. It is an enamel base paint so there was no reaction with the Restoleum. You certainly would have problems if you sprayed laquer paint over Restoleum.

Quote from: 750-h2 on September 18, 2017, 05:57:31 AM

Burdar

I used Rustoleum Fine texture paint on my Dart's dash and steering column.  By itself, it's slightly TOO textured.  By painting over it, you bury some of that texture under the top coat.  I used clear on top of it to dull down the texture.

Mickm

As everyone has agreed, I'd paint it. Have you checked the fit of your new dash pad? I sent my core to Just Dashes and it looked awesome when it returned. I had already done the paint work on the dash but this is what I discovered when I mated them together.

This is how good the fit was on the passenger side corner. WTF???

I had to split the dash open just  beneath the bend and open until it fit properly. Then weld and do the body work, prime and repaint.

Just trying to head off any unnecessary work and problems.

Cheers!
Mickm

MoparDave

Both manufactures from time to time have this issue. they pull the material too tight which create a gap. once its put together and in the car. I wont be seen. Foam tape also helps with gapping issues.

NONE of the Dashes are perfect.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

nsmall

I have two cans of SEM black trim paint.  I'll just go all the way.  Just pretty wiped out.  3.5 months, restored all the parts.  I wish I was less uptight.  Thanks for all the advice.  I really appreciate your input. 

Burdar

QuoteJust pretty wiped out.  3.5 months, restored all the parts.

It's not a race.  When you feel wiped out, take a step back...take a break.  Don't rush it.  There are a lot of people who take years to get where you have in 4 months.  You're doing great.

Take a week off and relax.

Mrbill426

Into year #6 here.

Quote from: Burdar on September 18, 2017, 12:38:37 PM
QuoteJust pretty wiped out.  3.5 months, restored all the parts.

It's not a race.  When you feel wiped out, take a step back...take a break.  Don't rush it.  There are a lot of people who take years to get where you have in 4 months.  You're doing great.

Take a week off and relax.

Shane Kelley

Mine took me  3 1/2 years for everything to complete.