Main Menu

Paint steering wheel?

Started by nsmall, June 13, 2017, 11:59:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I'm using some sem paint for all my interior pieces but I'm a little undecided about the steering wheel.

Is sem black Landau paint strong enough to be sprayed on the steering wheel and last OR should I just let this go and be happy with what I got?

Burdar

How do you drive the car?  One of my earliest memories is riding along with my dad and watching him drive with one finger in the spokes.  If that's how you drive, the SEM will last a long time.  If your hand is on the wheel, it will need to be touched up on occasion. If the grain is still intact and the wheel is a uniform color, I would just leave it.

I sprayed mine because there was one section that had a scratch in it.  If you spray it with a matte clear, it will last longer then just the Landau Black by itself. :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

If it's not to bad, I would just leave it.  The paint needed to hold up and a steering wheel (with all the touching from your hands) will need to be stronger then a single part paint.   :alan2cents:  I love SEM paint, but there's only so much a single part paint can hold up to.

Shane Kelley

nsmall

Thanks.  I'll just live with it as it looks decent.

As for the steering column I'm assuming my first picture marked with blue tape is only area that's exposed to the engine bay?  Correct?

I'm obviously not doing a factory restoration so I was thinking of just using glossy black paint on as many parts as I can because it seems to clean up best. 

As for picture number 2 I'm assuming the steering column lower shaft is typically left natural?  Correct?  If so, I'll leave natural.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

The couple on the end I think should be black and I think they painted it on the column so the shaft would get some black paint over it.  If you don't paint it black I would put a matte clear on it so it doesn't rust on you over time.

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

Thanks for the super quick replies.

Since this is a driver and I plan to keep the car for a very long time I'm thinking I should just paint the whole thing glossy black?

As for the column collar inside the interior I was going to use sem trim paint for that.

I don't want to repaint anything anytime soon.  Thanks

Shane Kelley

This is mine. Not 100% correct but pretty close. Maybe you can get some ideas for yours from these pics to help you decide what you might like.

nsmall

Thanks I have some rally silver from Eastwood that I'll use for the bottom shaft.  Thanks

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

I know I'm starting to get distracted here but I have a question for you.  For my e-brake and Brake assembly, am I correct to assume the only part that really shows is the actual pedal?

I'm a very uptight person so this resto is kind of hard for me because I just want to fix everything perfectly but I don't have time. 

Thanks

Burdar

Steering columns where painted with a suede paint in the early years. It had a slight texture to it. I think they did away with that by 73. My column didn't show any texture. I used SEM Trim black to repainted it. The attaching plate on the bottom and the attaching bracket on the upper end should be gloss black. The coupler and shaft were typically painted black.

Burdar

The brake pedal was sprayed black on the bottom. The upper part was left bare. 4-speed pedals have a distinct paint line. The auto brake pedal just fades from black to bare metal.

You don't have to go crazy with all the other parts but I wouldn't leave them grungy looking. Just buy a couple gallons of EvapoRust and soak that e-brake mechanism. It will get all the rust off of it and you won't have to lift a finger.

You can spray a lot of the small brackets black, however it can easily start looking like you took a black spray bomb to the entire car. That will look cheap IMO. Try some different paint finishes. Contrast between parts looks better. Just my opinion.

Cuda Cody

Yes, normally you only see the lower section of the pedal. 

nsmall

So I'm debating whether or not I should paint my seat belt buckles and covers?

I have everything cleaned up the best I can with sem soap.  I have some black Laundo sem paint...so what do you think?

The covers for the front seat belts are almost like a rubberized surface.  I'm not sure if sem Paint is the best idea. Maybe I should just be content and move on?

The actual seat belt buckle looks pretty good but again I'm pretty uptight so I was thinking I should just paint it but maybe I should leave this alone too?

Any advice?

Thanks

Neil

nsmall

Sorry I have more questions. Just to confirm it's okay to use the plastic adhesion promoter and sem paint on trim such as the ones in this picture?

I was also planning to use it on the door panels, kick panels, console, steering wheel cover and seat trim shown in the pictures.  I was just reading that SEM adhesion promoter cannot be used on ABS plastic so I wasn't certain.

Thanks