Main Menu

PG Classic Tuff Wheel Horn Mounting Screw Size

Started by Solarguy, September 12, 2018, 06:53:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

I have a pg classic tuff wheel in transit to me.  I know that the screw holes for the horn switch mounting are metric.  I would rather get matching metric screws than retap the holes sae.  Anyone know the size of the screw thread and length?  Thanks

Burdar

For stuff like this I like to just take the part with me to the hardware store so I can match them up.  :alan2cents:  If they are going to tap the holes the wrong size, I wish they would include screws that would work.  Re-tapping mine was a PITA.

1 Wild R/T

Yup. the metal is pretty hard, the tap is pretty small.....   

I think 3mm-0.50 x 6mm would do it.... 

shawge

3mm-0,50 is so close but did not work for me.  The screw thread pitch is too fine for the steering wheel - it looks like it needs a coarse thread scew.  I didn't find metric screws locally that would fit so I took the plunge and drilled/tapped the holes to 6-32  Only broke one tap but was lucky I could get some vice grips on the stub.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Brads70

I simply tapped mine for 6-32 ( I think it was?) the problem is the spokes are stainless which is tougher to tap than regular steel. A new tap and some tapping oil goes a long way...

Solarguy

As usual, 1 wild r/t's advice was spot on. I picked up the screws before the wheel arrived and installed it last weekend.  I like the look of the rally wheel that was in there but it was way to thin to get a good grip on with my arthritis filled hands.  The leather tuff wheel feels soooo much better. 

RUNCHARGER

Yes, that looks good and they function better too.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 20, 2018, 07:24:19 AM
Yes, that looks good and they function better too.
:iagree: I like mine, just not when it's been outside in the hot sunny mid afternoon.

dave73

Curious why 3mm-0.50 worked for one person and not the other? Are there wheels coming in at different sizes based on batch or something?

Burdar

I wonder if it has to do with when they tap the holes?  On mine it looked like the first thread was kind of deformed.  Almost like the threads were cut before the face was sanded and polished. 

HEMICUDA

I was tapping 25 wheels at a time, never could get them to correct that problem.