Main Menu

PUI Window Felts (cat whiskers)

Started by Mrbill426, April 15, 2022, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

From what I understand some brands fit well and stay put while others not so well.  Does anyone here have first hand experience with PUI brand window felts?  I hear they are pretty good; true?
I am only looking at OUTER felts, the inner door panels came with felts attached.

Bullitt-

TOP CATWHISKERS was the brand everyone recommended in the past
Model & year make a difference,

https://shoptntparts.com/1970-barracuda-coupe-outer-window-felt-kit-sweeps-belt-lines-oem/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Okay, who carries the Top Cat window felts?
Thanks

anlauto

Just about everybody....have you tried Roseville ?
Member @69BFan carries them ...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

69BFan

@Mrbill426, PUI does not sell direct to the customer, so you end up buying from a vendor who carries the PUI line of product.  PUI is part of a massive group of business holdings under the RPUI brand which has a diverse group of automotive restoration businesses. 

For window felts, PUI does carry some of our Top Catwhisker line.  Due to their size of operation and the fact that they carry products from the boating industry to semi trucks, you would need to confirm from your vendor of choice who is the manufacturer of the felts that you are wishing to purchase.

Unfortunately, we are out of material to build the E-Body felts at this time for the Top Catwhisker line.  We have been out of stock for a number of months on almost all of the materials to build any of the felts.  We are hoping to have some material back in stock by the end of June.  But like everything else, we are at the mercy of depending upon the raw material getting into our hands before the felts can be manufactured. 

Most vendors who might have a set in stock will most probably be an eight piece kit and will not want to bust a kit out for the outers only.  But you may be able to get lucky and find a private individual who might have a set available.  Once we get material back in stock, we will offer them as either a four or eight piece kit again.

Also, confirm that your outer door felts clip on, 70 style, or screw on, 71-74 style when placing your order.  It is amazing how many cars have the wrong doors on them as they have been replaced through the years.

Good luck with your search.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

71vert340

I have to chime in here concerning the PUI vs Top Cat vs original window sweeps. I decided to buy both brands for my 74 Chargers and compare. There's a difference as I'll show in photos. This was comparing the rear quarter window sweeps. The PUI had a different cross-section and did not fit as well. The Top Cat brand required me to re-glue the felts to the backing strip after rolling the windows up and down a few times. They started to separate. The Top Cat whiskers were a perfect fit though. See for yourself. Original sweep on bottom. PUI sweep in center. Top Cat sweep on top.
Terry W.

71vert340

Here's a couple more photos comparing them. 1st photo is comparing the original on top of Top Cat for curvature. 2nd photo is comparing original and PUi. I know this is b-body but when I ordered for my Challenger, I went with Top Cat after seeing how PUI literally cut corners. One other piece of info: my December build 71 Challenger had the clip in sweeps. Not all 71s had the screw in sweeps.
Terry W.

71vert340

BTW so I'm not out the money on the PUI sweeps, I'm going to use them on the next car I'm rebuilding - another 1974 Charger 318.
Terry W.

Mrbill426

Thanks, guess I will search around.  I don't need them right away but will hopefully soon and only the outside ones.  I believe mine are held on by screws not clips.

:wrenching:

Quote from: 69BFan on April 16, 2022, 10:08:08 AM
@Mrbill426, PUI does not sell direct to the customer, so you end up buying from a vendor who carries the PUI line of product.  PUI is part of a massive group of business holdings under the RPUI brand which has a diverse group of automotive restoration businesses. 

For window felts, PUI does carry some of our Top Catwhisker line.  Due to their size of operation and the fact that they carry products from the boating industry to semi trucks, you would need to confirm from your vendor of choice who is the manufacturer of the felts that you are wishing to purchase.

Unfortunately, we are out of material to build the E-Body felts at this time for the Top Catwhisker line.  We have been out of stock for a number of months on almost all of the materials to build any of the felts.  We are hoping to have some material back in stock by the end of June.  But like everything else, we are at the mercy of depending upon the raw material getting into our hands before the felts can be manufactured. 

Most vendors who might have a set in stock will most probably be an eight piece kit and will not want to bust a kit out for the outers only.  But you may be able to get lucky and find a private individual who might have a set available.  Once we get material back in stock, we will offer them as either a four or eight piece kit again.

Also, confirm that your outer door felts clip on, 70 style, or screw on, 71-74 style when placing your order.  It is amazing how many cars have the wrong doors on them as they have been replaced through the years.

Good luck with your search.

Mrbill426

I have found a set of outer window felts made (or distributed?) by a company named "Repop".  Anyone have experience with those... outers for a 'Cuda?

:wrenching:

anlauto

Never heard of them, but make sure they're not just "pre-selling" stock they don't have.....seems to be a lot of that going around... :pullinghair: take your money then tell you they're on back order... :headbang:

Mrbill426

@anlauto yes that would not be good.  It is listed at Jegs as a direct ship from the manufacture.

Quote from: anlauto on April 22, 2022, 12:30:59 PM
Never heard of them, but make sure they're not just "pre-selling" stock they don't have.....seems to be a lot of that going around... :pullinghair: take your money then tell you they're on back order... :headbang:

Mrbill426

*UPDATE*

I went ahead and rolled the dice on the "Repops" brand cat whiskers (via Classic Industries) and from what I can see they will work out fine.  Material quality looks good; everything is bonded well; the holes and clips are in the same location as the originals... Unless someone sees something I don't I think  can make these work.