Main Menu

Radio bezel + heater control bezel restoration

Started by Sir Keppa, March 10, 2019, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Sir Keppa

Today I removed the radio bezel and the heater control bezel because one is cracked and the other one has a ugly drilled hole. They came from a rallye dash and are not the ribbed ones.
From what i see the faceplates are painted with some sort of black textured paint which comes off if you scratch it.
I would like to fix the cracks and repaint the two pieces.

Now i am looking for the correct textured paint and need your help with that.

The letters on my heater control bezel have no paint left on them and i am wondering if they were white or chrome finished like the small frame?
Global is the new local!

Cuda Cody

They make new ones of those items, but if you want to fix it you can save some money.  A silver paint pen should look pretty good on the raised areas, but you'll need to paint the texture first.  There's a couple rattle can textures or wrinkle finishes that look good.  It takes a little testing and practice to get it where you like, but it will look good.

Also, you can plastic weld the holes before you paint.

6Pack70

It's not 100% correct, but I cleaned the surrounding areas with Scrubbing Bubbles spray, a new toothbrush and hot water.   Scuffed with purple scotchbrite, blow off, wipe with DX-330 wax and grease remover, tack rag and sprayed with two light coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner in the rattle can.   

6Pack70

6Pack70

76orangewagon

Here's a couple of mine I had restored by Instrument Specialties.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Sir Keppa on March 10, 2019, 10:09:17 AM
The letters on my heater control bezel have no paint left on them and i am wondering if they were white or chrome finished like the small frame?
In case it's not 100% noticeable in the pictures, the lettering is white. I've used Harley Davidson Wrinkle Paint. It's expensive and fussy to get it to wrinkle (room temperature very critical).

Sir Keppa

Thanks for the input guys!
I will try to find a rattle can texture then.

Can you give me an advice for the correct black color finish?
Global is the new local!

Burdar

I used VHT wrinkle paint on mine.  You can get it at Advance Auto.

Once mine was cleaned, I sprayed the entire thing with SEM Trim Black.  Then I masked off the center rectangular section and sprayed the wrinkle paint.  Once that was dry, I used a paint pen to redo the white lettering and a silver marker to redo the "chrome" border.

The wrinkle paint took a long time to dry.  Once it wrinkled, it stayed tacky for a long time.  I just left it sit and came back to it after a few weeks.

blown motor

I also used VHT wrinkle paint. It's actually called VHT High Temperature Wrinkle Plus. I sprayed it on and let it flash off, then used a hair dryer on low temp and low speed to cure it. It took me three tries to get it right. Don't get too close with the hair dryer or the wrinkle won't look right.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel