Main Menu

Rattle can texture for stereo surround?

Started by FSHTAIL, April 26, 2021, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Has anyone found a fairly close rattle can texture paint for the stereo surround area?
Thanks
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

FSHTAIL

Thanks for the help

Quote from: Skdmark link=topic=21225.msg :happybday: :barf:261398#msg261398 date=1619488808
Here's some options. Black wrinkle or Rustoleum texture.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/finish-on-lower-dash-bezels/19161/msg244107#msg244107

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

blown motor

@Chris D. I used VHT high temperature Wrinkle Plus. It took me three tries to get it right but it looks good now.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

usraptor

SEM black landau is almost a perfect color match for black.  If you hold the can 12" or more away it will add it's own texture.  I had to buy a replacement repo heater control panel and the texture on it was much thicker than on my original pieces.  The SEM Black landau was much closer to OEM IMHO.  :alan2cents:

FSHTAIL

I'm doing something a little less standard and close enough at a glance is my goal.

Retrofitting a 3rd brake light for more visibility..      I'm making the housing look a little less out of place..   

I'm also planning to retrofit the tails with LED boards at a later time.. 

I'll make a little whatdoyado on it when its done.. 

I ended up with Rustoleum textured black.        Need to do a little more primer filler and block sanding before I lay this down.

Much appreciated on the help..   

Burdar

The original finish was "wrinkle".  These parts were sprayed quickly and in mass quantities.  Some got a heavier coat of paint then others.  If yours didn't get a good thick coat of paint, it wouldn't have "wrinkled" much.  Or, some of the panel could have a heavier wrinkled finish then another area.  It's just one of the variations in a mass produced part.

Here is a before and after of mine.  It was redone with VHT wrinkle paint. 

Jay Bee

Harley Davidson Wrinkle Finish was recommended to me. I found it expensive and finicky.

shawge

I've also had good results w/ the VHT hi-temp wrinkle paint. I did as Jules suggested and kept the surrounds warm while they dried.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

FSHTAIL

turned out killer...   

I used Rustoleum textured black   

20" back was how this worked out, 2 medium coats at 55 degrees (not ideal)   

I appreciate the guidance