Main Menu

Rear quarter glass frame issue

Started by nsmall, October 25, 2017, 12:03:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I removed the original glass and put a new glass and it ended up being a bit of a challenge.

I left the rubber gasket that goes inside of the rear quarter channel for the glass.  One piece was really stubborn (the glass would not go inside it but a 1/8 of an inch) so I had to remove some of the rubber gasket in order to get the glass to go down.

So the first 2 pictures are of the one that I think is good to go and the rest of the pictures are of the stubborn side.  Based on the pictures am I going to have a hard time having the glass fit flush up high?  :help: Is it going to be an issue of air coming in while driving?  :help: I ran a bead of 100% silicon where the glass goes into the channel to better seal the glass.  Not sure if that was right???

The only way around this IMO is to remove all of the rubber on the stubborn side where the glass fits on the horizontal Channel as I tried and tried and I cannot get this glass to go down any further.

Thanks in advance. 

nsmall

Here is the side I'm concerned about.  If I was to remove the Rubber and get this glass to fit better I was thinking again of just using 100% silicone to lay down in the channel so the glass is secure.  Sounds good?

Spikedog08

Yeah I didn't use the rubber and just epoxied the quarter glass in and I am really happy with it!  Would do it again! 

:banana:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

I've used a rubber mallet and carefully tapped the edge of the glass while holding it to my gut or a soft pad.  So far I have been able to get all of them to seat all the way down.   

anlauto

The rudder 1/4 glass window weather-strip caps off the glass at the top. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

@Cuda Cody I used a rubber mallet and that was as far as I could go on the stubborn side.  I was hitting it hard and the glass would not go all the way down.  I weigh 155 pounds, maybe I need to bulk up as I have wimpy little arms.

@anlauto Any idea if the 1/4 weather strip will keep air and water out or do you think I need to tear this apart and try to get it to fit "all the way down"?

nsmall

Maybe someone can post a picture of their car with the 1/4 glass rolled up as I am trying to decide whether its worth battling this stubborn 1/4 glass.  Thanks for your help.  I couldn't find any good pictures online.

Neil

anlauto

It's NOT an issue...The glass does NOT go down further, it always sticks up higher than the stainless trim and gets covered by the rubber :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Thanks Alan.  I REALLY appreciate you guys.

I really like Alan chiming in as I feel like he is a Mopar king and I am a little Mopar peasant.  Yet the King helps the little man.  THANKS