Main Menu

Rear quarter Window Travel

Started by Aloha Randy, April 18, 2022, 08:07:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aloha Randy

I have a November 15, 1969 build Challenger. I noticed the rear quarters only go 60% down. I see other Challengers that the rear quarter goes down completely. Was there a design change or do I have another issue. I have attached pictures. The rear facing arm seems to limit it downward motion on the regulator pivot. Same on both sides. Also, I have some surface rust in the lower rocker. Is there suppose to be drains for water running down from the rear quarter window?
Thanks for any help as this is my first Challenger. 

anlauto

Something is messed up, they should roll all the way down, and yes, from the factory they have drains along the bottom of the rockers.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

It kinda looks like the glass is coming forward as it goes down (as seen in the picture of the car from the side).  Maybe your track has lost a bolt or something. :dunno: 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

anlauto

This roller is completely broken in half and the window is NOT travelling in the right grove, almost certain that is where it's binding  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Aloha Randy

Do you know if there is a good illustrated breakdown of the quarter window mechanism so I can kind of get an idea of how they're raking this? I have a 70 service manual but it has some real generic pictures of dodge darts and maybe a challenger but they are not as helpful as I'd like. Thank you for your advice and things to look for!

headejm

Aloha Randy

Aloha Randy

Ok for anyone who might have been following this issue I had:

Issue 1, the rear quarter windows would only go part way down. After looking too long at the issue with no results, I checked the part number on the regulator. The past owner installed the left side on the right side and vice versa! And yes I had 1 split washer and 1 missing spring that puts pressure on the slide bushing. Ordered the bushing but no luck on finding the spring.

Issue 2, below the window in the rocker / torque box I found some rust. I found the past owner did a metal replacement in this area and then pinched the weep hole closed and welded it! No water exit. Separated the metal and re established a working weep hole for the quarter window area.

Thanks to you all who helped put me on the right trail!!

Mr Lee

Wow, I cant even believe that's possible (to switch the regulators).  No wonder they only go half way down.

Good eye catching the weep hole.  Weep holes are important.     The weep holes drains in the sunroof of my daily driver clogged and water came into the interior.  Its a fairly common thing apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

anlauto

Glad you got it sorted out....I did a convertible back in the 90's and the metal guy blocked off those holes too....after a major rain storm, my rear floor matts were floating... :yes:

Aloha Randy

Its the entire regulator assembly that can be switched. Laying them side by side the most obvious clue is the regulator hub that the cranks go on are angled different from each other but there are small differences that create a bind and only let windows go down about 60%. The biggest clue is EM 642R and EM 642L part numbers.