Main Menu

rear seat back installation - too high?

Started by njsteve, December 05, 2020, 01:22:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

I am putting the rear seat back in after reupholstering it (70 Cuda). It sure seems like it is sitting too high once I engage the two hooks on the rear bulkhead into the two U-brackets on the seat frame. The top of the seat sits about one inch above the rear package tray. Is that normal? (interior was out of the car when I bought it).

I'll try to grab aphoto in a few minutes.

anlauto

You know the loops on the bottom of the seat DO NOT go inside the brackets on the floor, merely just rest on top...right ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

njsteve

Yup. Sitting on them with the bolts holding them in place in one of the three avialable holes. Here's the photos.

anlauto

Okay...I would bend the top loops into the seat more, moving the top "lip" over the package tray...

Man...that's the worst explanation of what I'm trying to say :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

njsteve

Explanation understood, in fact, that's exactly what I have been playing with to try to get it lower and closer to the rear bulkhead.

SgtSuperbird

I'm really a B-body guy, that owns a T/A. I've never had mine apart, and this might be a stupid question, but could it be possible the package shelf could use the jute padding underneath to create a thicker package shelf area? It seems to me that I remember that jute under previous package trays. (Or maybe that was just a Superbird thing?)

njsteve

The package tray can't be any higher because it slips beneath the edges of the side panels.

RUNCHARGER

That does look a sliver high but not too much. The seat does sit above the package tray a bit, just a bit less that though.
Sheldon

B5fourspeed

I just install my package tray a week ago.IMO part of the issue is you need the package tray insulation installed.When I did the package tray I backed off the screws to the lower glass trim then I slid the package tray under the trim then tightened the trim.The gap from your lower glass trim to the package tray looks to wide.With the insulation in you will gain 3/16 to a 1/4 of height.If you can get the seat back to drop a little bit on top of that you will close the gap.Just my thoughts.

B5fourspeed

I just measured my top of rear seat to package tray is a 1/2 inch.

73_Cuda_4_Me

My Cuda rear seat back sits high just like yours, and I installed sound deadener on the package tray sheet metal before installing the package tray.

The side panels barely fit over the package tray after that, so it's about as high as can be, but still a lot of rear seat back above the tray like yours...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Jim AAR

Remove the back seat and bend the tabs (wire loops) on the seat back that hook the seat to the top clips. if you bend them upward toward the seat top it will shorten the distance pulling the seat top down.

njsteve

I will add some insulation under the package tray tomorrow. If you bend the two wire loops upward (and away from the seat frame) it does lower the seat but it also moves it away from the rear bulkhead creating more of a gap. If you bend them in, toward the seat frame, they dont reach the two tabs coming from the bulkhead.

njsteve

Yup, youz guys was right! I used some of the leftover carpet jute (from an old set of carpet that was cut wrong for my car) and voila! It's looks much nicer. I spray glued it to the package tray after cutting out the speaker squares and the seat now sits much better without that big gap showing.

Thank you again! Now it's time to install the rear seat belts and the lower cushion.

anlauto