Main Menu

Reproduction 4 speed consoles

Started by erik70rt, July 13, 2021, 07:59:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Has anyone used one for a 4 spd?  I hear the top plate fit is terrible.  I have a really nice original top plate and I was hoping it would fit better than the reproduction top plates.

Thoughts?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

anlauto

I just did this for my current project.  A four speed console from Tony's parts and an original top plate.
No offence to Tony's part, but I did have to modify it to make it work.
At the back of the console the top plate would not rest properly. Most people grind at the top plate, I took a hot thin flat blade screwdriver and made a slot in the plastic so you tuck the end of the top plate into the slot and then the rest just falls into place.

I deal with a lot of reproduction parts in my builds..I've learned to stop complaining and just make it work...We all need to be thankful for these parts, because if we stop buying them...guess what....we will stop having them, and worse yet, people like Tony will stop developing new parts for our beloved old cars. :alan2cents:

I don't have any good pictures on my computer, but you can see how flat the top plate fits...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

boydsdodge

Nice tip and agree with parts even being available for us to complain about.
Is it possible the USB/ash tray lid be turned so it's easier for driver to access? I'd check it out myself but the one here has seat belt buckles in it.

anlauto

Quote from: boydsdodge on July 13, 2021, 12:10:26 PM
Is it possible the USB/ash tray lid be turned so it's easier for driver to access? I'd check it out myself but the one here has seat belt buckles in it.

Yes I think you could turn the whole ashtray around, however that was designed for the kids in the rear seat...I got two more ports up front for the driver's phone. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 13, 2021, 04:09:19 PM

Yes I think you could turn the whole ashtray around, however that was designed for the kids in the rear seat...I got two more ports up front for the driver's phone. :bigthumb:

Got a link to those USB ports you use? Thinking I'd like to add some to both cars....

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on July 13, 2021, 04:18:28 PM

Got a link to those USB ports you use? Thinking I'd like to add some to both cars....
This is the one that is in the ashtray  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Q48HC3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 13, 2021, 05:04:20 PM

This is the one that is in the ashtray  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Q48HC3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, looks easy enough to wire up. Even the right colour for the Javelin! Thanks!

anlauto

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 13, 2021, 07:19:59 PM
You think ????  :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Well me not being very good/experienced with electronics  didn't know how these were wired up so it was regulated and didn't give 12v to your phone and damage it. These are all in one tidy package.  :bradsthumb:

SpeedD408

I'd still probably put a 5A fuze on the + side just to be safe.
1971 Cuda - 383, Rallye Red, Rallye Cluster, Disc Brakes, Rear Defogger, A/C, Road Lamps, AM/FM Radio
Tag #1- N1B FE5 H6XW V1W A01 A62 B51 C16 C55 G11 G36 H31 H51 J25 J45 J54 L25 L31 L34 M21 M25 M31 M88 N41
Tag #2- N42 N85 R35 26

anlauto

Quote from: SpeedD408 on July 16, 2021, 11:23:02 AM
I'd still probably put a 5A fuze on the + side just to be safe.

YES, it does actually come with an inline fuse holder too. :bigthumb:

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 13, 2021, 05:04:20 PM

Just doing some " looking" , is this the same part but half the price?
https://www.amazon.ca/MICTUNING-Universal-Rocker-Style-Charger/dp/B010T3D1CQ/ref=bmx_g14ldjgo_5/138-6850475-0981369?pd_rd_w=VC7md&pf_rd_p=26a46aa6-9e78-403a-b097-bbfce51e5d56&pf_rd_r=NBPH0AAKT0C3C8PJP2WB&pd_rd_r=b48e828a-c37d-473c-9002-9845784e8d4b&pd_rd_wg=9eZXJ&pd_rd_i=B010T3D1CQ&psc=1

anlauto

Looks like it....You gotta love Amazon  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

I just bought another one, thanks for the link  :drinkingbud:

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 16, 2021, 01:26:47 PM
I just bought another one, thanks for the link  :drinkingbud:

I got this one for the Challenger as its green to match the gauges backlight? I'll get the blue one for the Javelin ....backlight is blue in my car,

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B013W8KS58/?coliid=I15E94G8K4Q41M&colid=19VPOK9OA0OCB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it