Main Menu

Retractable Seat belt backing plate

Started by tparker, June 04, 2018, 09:47:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi All.
One of the stupidest things I have done is think I could remember the details when I removed parts. LOL. I need a bit of help again with the retractable seat belts.

The retractable seatbelt bolt on the drivers side requires a plate with a welded on nut on the outside of the floor pan. I can't quite figure out how it goes since it doesn't fit quite right. There is a seam that is in the way and a lip on the plate that prevent it from sitting flush and I cant remember how it goes. In the photo you can see the lip on the plate and the seam on the left. Maybe it doesn't sit flush? That seems weird The passenger side is fine, the bolt is part of the floor pan and nothing to worry about. Does any one have a photo or thoughts?

Thanks
Tom

Cuda Cody

anlauto

That plate, or one like it should be part of the floor pan like the passenger side. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

@Cuda Cody it's a 70 challenger

@anlauto Nope, totally different. Passenger side does not have a plate. The nut is straight on the floor pan. I'll upload a pic in a couple hours.

Thanks guys

Cuda Cody

This is what all mine look....

tparker

@Cuda Cody That is close to what my passenger side looks like. Do both sides look like that?

Cuda Cody

I checked 5 drivers sides and they were all the same.

anlauto

What year is your car ?

ALL seat belt weld nuts will have a reinforcement plate from the factory period. It's a safety issue. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

Here is the photo of the passenger side, which matches Cuda Cody's.

@anlauto It's a 70. it has a backing plate, but its quite differnt. The passenger side is a large plate that is firmly (welded) attached. The Driver side does not have that same style plate but had the one I posted above. I recall taking it off but I don't remember how it went back on. It's possible someone swapped it at some time, but that seems an add replacement. Hmmm....