Main Menu

School me on plastic welding?

Started by Brads70, September 22, 2023, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

So I'm trying to get my dash back into the javelin ( 1971) and I have 2 dashes here but between both I still have a few broken parts I'd like to have a go at repairing myself?
I also have to shorten/modify it for the bigger trans tunnel after fitting in the T-56
Anyone have any experience, words of wisdom? I don't mind buying the needed equipment.

Chryco Psycho

Soldering gun with a flat tip can fuse it together .

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 22, 2023, 07:24:05 PM
Soldering gun with a flat tip can fuse it together .
Yes I've watched a few u-tube video's and seen that. I bought this to see how it works? Cheap enough ....https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B4RDHKDR?smid=A1AY3A36ZICWRN&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

RUNCHARGER

I've repaired a few motorcycle panels. On one of my old bikes I used the flat soldering iron and introduced extra filler material into the mix. It worked well but I did bodywork on the panels afterwards. When the deer ran into my Bandit a year ago I carefully welded the back surfaces with the soldering iron but tried not to overheat the panels (a total of 5 Effin panels in total!) so the paint didn't bubble. I wasn't really confident it was as strong as original and it worked okay but I am not sure if the repairs lasted or not because I wanted an immaculate bike and sold it this spring.
My neighbor got a kit off Amazon that has zig-zag pieces of wire that you heat up and press into the plastic. That's what I'll do if I have to do it over again. My feeling is I would melt those in then do the smoothing afterwards and it should be a sturdy repair. Of course you would have to refinish afterwards.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

I've melted staples in to the back side to stitch seams together.
Let us know how the welder works out.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.