Main Menu

SE Headliner Material

Started by headejm, February 02, 2017, 10:36:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

My SE headliner shell, sail panels, consolette, and back window trim are restored and ready to be recovered. I'd like to know what is the most popular fabric to use. I have samples from Legendary, SMS, and Your Auto Trim. To be honest, I'm not too crazy about any of them and the prices range from $16/yard to $69/yard. Haven't really measured yet but planning to use 3 to 4 yards.   Any suggestions? :thankyou:

Cuda Cody

I'll be curious what others have to say.  I've not been lucky enough yet to get to do a SE headliner.  But maybe someday!   :fingerscrossed:

headejm

Here are the various pieces that make up the SE headliner and need to be recovered.

Blake@diyhemi.com

I had to reinforce my headliner with fiberglass because it wasn't structurally sound (kept sagging in the middle)

I used headliner rods from a BH car to reshape the headliner board, then placed fiberglass strips on the back.

I couldn't find a fabric that matched the OEM well enough, so I just placed suede on it instead. Did I mention, when I bought the car it had leopard print on the headliner? Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

fc7cuda

Great idea on the headliner rods for reshaping, did you leave them in place upon installation or was the "reshape" with Fiberglas strong enough they weren't needed?  After quite abit or research of my own, I bought the Legenday material.  It's a planned Spring project so I'm thankful for your post and insight.  :yes:

That leopard looked vintage 70s!! :cool:

Tom

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: fc7cuda on February 03, 2017, 05:35:50 AM
Great idea on the headliner rods for reshaping, did you leave them in place upon installation or was the "reshape" with Fiberglas strong enough they weren't needed?  After quite abit or research of my own, I bought the Legenday material.  It's a planned Spring project so I'm thankful for your post and insight.  :yes:

That leopard looked vintage 70s!! :cool:

Tom

The fiberglass was strong enough to retain the shape. I simply cut the rods off (they were tied in place with sewing thread through the board perforations) after the resin cured.  Then I flipped it over and sanded the old glue off that held the leopard print on. Reapplied glue and set down the suede.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Timbbuc2

What a great thread, I will be following this, because of my SE. I was thinking to do the same with the fiber glass for support. Mine didnt have leopard skin LOL, but it has like a crushed velvet, to me it looks nasty. Maybe if it was new it would be ok. Good idea with the rods. This is what makes this site the best, great ideas
Get in, I'll drive

headejm

My headliner board was not as bad as @Blake@diyhemi.com  but sagged near the rear view mirror from the weight of the consolette. I used fiberglass to reinforce the area and all of the areas that have clearance holes or cutouts. Much stronger than the original. I used various diameter balls (basketball, volleyball, etc.) to shape the headliner while the fiberglass cured. Fun project.

RUNCHARGER

I don't know if this photo will show up very well. I redid this one last year. I found the material locally but the old stuff had been recovered once already so I don't know how close to stock it was.
To be honest if I found another SE I'm not sure I would keep it an SE unless every piece was there. Lots of stuff to deal with from the beltline trim clips to the rear window to the all the interior bits.

Sheldon
Sheldon

headejm

Do you still have a piece that you could measure the thickness?

Brads70

That leopard headliner is hilarious!   :rofl:  There is a part of me that screams TACKY!  but yet another part of me that thinks it's so unusual its cool?  :looney:
I get replacing it but glad you kept a picture of it for us to enjoy!   8)

RUNCHARGER

I'll look to see if I have a sample. I kept some for awhile in case I needed some. That zebra stuff is over the top though!

Sheldon
Sheldon

MoparDave

mine currently has crushed silver all over. doesn't beat the leopard print though/. LOL....
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MoparDave

interior was an abomination when I picked it up. HRK4 originally,
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

750-h2

I need to buy some of this headliner material for my F8 interior. So who if anyone sells material that looks OEM?