Main Menu

Seat frame help.. paint, rust treatment

Started by Jocigar, March 16, 2020, 06:55:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Stripped my old seats this weekend, must have pulled 300 hog rings and I'm sure some mouse pee was in the mix.. not a fun task.

I started some limited blasting (tight fit in HF cabinet) and sanding with 60 grit soft pads on grinder.   

What can I spray onto frame for any residual rust ? 

Should I use rustoleum gloss black, maybe that will take care of both?

I noticed one spring tab was broken, should I spot weld in place or weld in a new tab to hold the spring same as factory.

Lastly, What about the tracks ?  Do I blast ball bearings and all or take them apart... paint? gloss or satin black.

thank you,

JS29

Burdar

I had the upholstery shop strip the seats down to the frames.  Then I took them to the powdercoater.  They blasted them and coated them in a semigloss black.  There were a couple springs that were rusted very thin.  The upholstery shop had a roll of new seat springs and replaced them.

As far as the tracks are concerned....

My Challenger tracks were in really good shape.  I just cleaned them really well and sprayed new paint right over the original stuff.  Then I lubed everything.  On my Dart, the tracks were really bad.  One roller and cage were missing so they definitely had to come apart.  I guess it just depends on what shape yours are in.

Jocigar

Thanks Burdar, I am all for doing things right, but for these frames that are completely unexposed I thought a lot charge for blaster/coating would be overkill. 

If I can in-house clean, treat rust and fresh paint, I would be happy with that.   Hats off to you for going 110% however.

I have evaporust earmarked in my head, but not sure if it can be sprayed on.

B5fourspeed

Soak the seat tracks in evaporust.The tracks are a pain to take apart.I painted my seat frames after blasting  with rustoleum semi-gloss black paint that had primer in it to.

Burdar

I had them powdercoated for two reasons.

1. I have a local powdercoater who is dirt cheap.
2. My Dart is a convertible and I know it will be exposed to more weather then a vehicle with a roof.

Racer57

You can't properly prep/paint any better than powder coating will do. You don't want to repaint in a few years do you ?

Katfish

Simple, put some Ospho in a spray bottle and use that.

Floyd

I bought one of these for stuff that won't fit in the blasting cabinet.  It works great as long as you can get air to it outside.  I did my dash frame, seat frames, sway bars, etc.

JS29