Main Menu

Seatbelt option for 70 cuda

Started by jlemler, June 17, 2021, 07:33:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

So in order to put my car in safe working order I need seatbelts.  As I see it there are two options:
Lap only
Lap and shoulder requiring two buckles.
How does the retractor work for two buckles?
Or am I just total confused?
The only way for me to know which goes on my 1970 383 Cuda is the build sheet?  Correct?
Jeff
P.S. who is the best source to purchase these from?

benguin

There is no retractor for the shoulder belt.  The tang half can be folded and is held in place by a clip on the headliner near the A post. 

The buckle end is stored in on the back end of the center console.  I'm guessing for non-console cars, it generally gets left laying next to the seat (for cars with buckets).

It's not an ideal format for comfort or safety.  But that's the era!

Dakota

If you're looking to have restored stock belts, I'd suggest contacting Bill Edwards at the website below.  I sold him my old seat belts after seeing his name a couple of times (all positive comments by the way) I'm other posts on this site.

http://allmoparseatbelts.com/

I bought front and back belts from XV Motorsports and am very happy with them.   The new front belts  are a combined lap and shoulder belt that work off of one retractor for each seat.  The original mount for the shoulder belt is re-used with the XV belts.  I don't like the lack of flexibility that came with the original shoulder belt design so the XV option was much better for me.

anlauto

PG Classics sell reproduction seat belts as well. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

Jlemler, when I started looking for a 3-point seat belt set up for my 70 Challenger, I checked out all of the after market 3-point systems available. After a chance trip through one of the local u-pick yards here I SoCal a few years ago. I stumbled across a couple of 74 Challengers and after checking out the factory integrated 3-point belt system, pulled all belts front and rear from both cars. These are the deluxe push button lap/shoulder integrated belts. Well, after thoroughly cleaning everything found out everything bolted up in factory anchor positions. I now have a factory 3-point belt system that works and performs like a new car but looks like it came out with car originally. Besides they're from a Challenger.   Thanks,   Al