Main Menu

‘70 Cuda hood latch on a ‘71

Started by WCC, April 06, 2018, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Has anybody tried to use a '70 Cuda hood latch on a '71 model? If I look at where the opening is underneath the '71 grill it seems to be directly in line with the '70 lever. Perhaps the only question is whether it is long enough to reach with your fingers?
Thx

anlauto

I don't think it would be anywhere close.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

WCC

Why do you think so?
Perhaps I am totally wrong but to me it looks close. Wish I had one here to check it out. The actual latch looks very similar and the mounting holes must be similar between the 70 and 71. The release  lever is the part that needs to be checked. When I look through the lever access opening on my 71 grill it is just slightly to the right of the right mounting hole on the latch. The handle on the 71 looks to be at a slight offset to the right as well, so if I can get the lever length I can see whether it will fit and be accessible via the grill access opening.

anlauto

It's called depth.....that's were the issue will be.
The utmost tip of each latch handle is totally different with the 70 being maybe 2-3 inches away from the latch, and the 71 is more like 7-8 inches away from the latch.
The grill depth in that area is way different, that's why the different latch set-up.

...and the 70 lever sits about 2 inches lower as well....:alan2cents:

If you're extremely flexible, you might be able to snake your arm in the 71 grill hole and reach way back to release the 70 lever.... :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

WCC

Quote from: anlauto on April 06, 2018, 01:04:17 PM
It's called depth.....that's were the issue will be.
The utmost tip of each latch handle is totally different with the 70 being maybe 2-3 inches away from the latch, and the 71 is more like 7-8 inches away from the latch.
The grill depth in that area is way different, that's why the different latch set-up.

...and the 70 lever sits about 2 inches lower as well....:alan2cents:

If you're extremely flexible, you might be able to snake your arm in the 71 grill hole and reach way back to release the 70 lever.... :'(

Ok thanks. I think I may just get one and mod the lever handle, as finding a 71 is near impossible.

Crocha617

Modifying a 72 and up is a better way to go I believe.