Main Menu

Sound and heat deadner, ceramic tent

Started by nsmall, July 08, 2017, 01:15:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

http://store.secondskinaudio.com

Heard these guys make some pretty good stuff.  Anyone ever use this outfit or have a recommendation for something of similiar quality and price?

On a similar yet totally different topic has anyone ever tried ceramic tinting their windows vs just regular tint?  I heard the ceramic tint really blocks the sun and I live in a desert so I thought I might be worth it to spend the money on a really good tint job.

Thanks

nsmall

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-insulation-mats/

This could go above the headliner to keep the heat out.

I was also thinking that maybe on the firewall and under the floorboards I could  put this down to keep some of the heat out of the Interior from the exhaust/headers?  Not sure if there's enough space or if I'm overthinking things again.

Thanks in advance...

Neil

Cuda Cody

I just use the sound deadener on the roof.  Makes the car sound super solid when the doors shut too.

303 Mopar

I've used www.fatmat.com on a couple of cars now and really like the stuff. It's as good as Dynamat but significantly less.  I purchased the sheets instead of a roll because it is easier to fit and cut as needed.  I did my doors too and it made a big difference in sounding solid instead of like a hardware store was collapsing.

RUNCHARGER

This stuff is Proform and I like it as well. I've pulled enough of the OEM roof insulation out to not want to use that style.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

74CudaChief

I'm going to be using this product "Lizard Skin" spray-on insulation when I get to that point in the project.
They have a spray-on sound control and a ceramic heat protection that you can layer together.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

ec_co

the new window tints are superior to the ones from 10yrs ago and its a must (IMO) to have it done professionally/the right way. even if not using the ceramic tint, avoid the store/retail brands as they suck compared to professional tint, especially in an environment like yours where you need a 'real' tint that actually works, not just a 'looks good' because its dark tint (eg: the tint you find at every retailer and autozone)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 74CudaChief on July 10, 2017, 03:01:46 PM
I'm going to be using this product "Lizard Skin" spray-on insulation when I get to that point in the project.
They have a spray-on sound control and a ceramic heat protection that you can layer together.

I used it once, never again.... It works ok, nothing special.. but it's messy & it leaves rough texture like undercoating

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 10, 2017, 06:43:51 PM
Quote from: 74CudaChief on July 10, 2017, 03:01:46 PM

I used it once, never again.... It works ok, nothing special.. but it's messy & it leaves rough texture like undercoating

We will see how it works out. I did lizard skin thermal coating from the lower half of the firewall to the rest of the bottom of the car and roof. For my application, the texture doesn't bother me much. I can see an issue on a OE style restoration though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Claudia

Quote from: nsmall on July 08, 2017, 01:15:57 PM
http://store.secondskinaudio.com

Heard these guys make some pretty good stuff.  Anyone ever use this outfit or have a recommendation for something of similiar quality and price?

On a similar yet totally different topic has anyone ever tried ceramic tinting their windows vs just regular tint?  I heard the ceramic tint really blocks the sun and I live in a desert so I thought I might be worth it to spend the money on a really good tint job.

Thanks

I may be on my own here but I used this stuff . . . it is thin, less expensive and has the same effect.
It is a slow go at only 6" wide strips but it does make it easier to install.  :alan2cents:

edison1970

I tried a product called Noico.  Available on Amazon and Ebay.  They actually give you a piece of Dynamat to compare it to. 25 sf is $39.20 delivered.  50 sf was $68.80.  Pleased with it.  Seems to make a huge difference on the roof.

dave73

Quote from: edison1970 on October 25, 2017, 05:52:30 PM
I tried a product called Noico.  Available on Amazon and Ebay.  They actually give you a piece of Dynamat to compare it to. 25 sf is $39.20 delivered.  50 sf was $68.80.  Pleased with it.  Seems to make a huge difference on the roof.

This is what I am using. So far I've done my doors and trunk and have no complaints on quality or price

You guys haven't had issues with deadener on the roof? I've heard horror stories of the head breaking lose the glue and falling down on the headliner...

edison1970

That was the only reason I waited so long to do the roof.  I wiped the roof down with prep all first to make sure I got a good clean surface.  I only had a few air bubbles but I cut the material there and rolled them real good.  It does sound solid but I still worry about the possibility of it getting too hot and coming loose.  No going back now.

61K T/A

I've used both Dyna and Hushmat products. There is a slight installation advantage when using the Hush mat. When applying  into tight spaces like on your door skin the aluminium backing is not as stiff making it easier to get into tight corners. And don't forget to get your self a good roller too. Everhard MR02040.