Main Menu

Source for 70 SE dome light bulb??

Started by 750-h2, June 08, 2018, 11:08:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Does anyone know who sells these or know of an alternative bulb that would work?   # on bulb is 551 GE. I checked with all area jobbers, google searches, Ebay etc with negative results. :notsure: Looks like they were only used on Mopars with roof consoles as well as 1971 Checker cabs. :haha:

EV2RTSE

Man, these SE cars really are a pain in the  $#@!

On moparts, Dayclona said you could get them from a place called Don's bulbs, apparently he has since retired and the shop is closed.  :headbang:

Looks like a 561 LED will (hopefully) work instead, though.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2257192/1970-cuda-overhead-console-map-ligh-bulb-availabilty.html

chargerdon

Did a Google search...   got https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp551.html   But is shows it as Discontinued-No Remaining Stock

Still...id give them a call..   

GY3R/T

Certain 1969-70 C-bodies use the same bulb. Check the junk yards !

750-h2

561 bulbs as purchased will not work but they are the right length. [see pic]. I just went and bought one.  What I did was wrap both ends with fine strands of wire, I then secured the wire with JB weld just leaving one side at each end exposed .  Pain in the ar@$# but should work.  Thanks Guys!

headejm

@750-h2 Jim at JS Restorations sold me one about a year ago. Hard to find but he had a few in stock. Great guy to work with.

P.S I love my RT/SE and all it's unique parts!

750-h2

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yep, pretty sure I won't build another SE unless it is something really special. There is so much more too them than people realize.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

750-h2

Jim from JS Restorations got back to me. Here is his response.

'Thank you for your inquiry. I appreciate it!

I know exactly what bulb you are looking for. No I do not have any available at this time. They are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth. Good luck with your search. I do not have any vendor friends to point to that has them, either.

Thanks again,

Jim
JS Restorations
www.jsrestorations.com

Rumple

Well that is disappointing. Thanks for researching and sharing what you found.

erik70rt

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 08, 2018, 08:14:31 PM
Ha, ha: Yep, pretty sure I won't build another SE unless it is something really special. There is so much more too them than people realize.

Exactly!  I never owned an SE car before the one I have now.  It's a real PITA finding the missing parts!  :pullinghair:  Whenever I get tempted to sell it, I go for a ride in it and change my own mind.  HA HA HA
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

EV2RTSE

Hey guys, great news. I just found a source for the bulb.

https://www.bulbworks.com/light-bulbs/551

I bought a few for myself, and also inquired about how many they have left. They told me they have 4 more in stock at $5.40 each, and they also see another batch of 25 in their system, but the price would go up to $6.96 each on those.

Get them while you can! :banana:

Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

As with any LED light you have to have the polarity correct , reversed the light will not light up  :alan2cents: