Main Menu

Speedo cable

Started by Shoooter, May 12, 2018, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

ok so I screwed up and I forgot to install my Speedo cable when I did my guages. do I need to pull then out or can it be installed with them in? any proper route under the car or just keep it clear of moving parts? any tips?

Cuda Cody

You can install it with the dash in place.  Not hard, but you'll need to lay on your back and reach up there to slide it in.  It should just push and lock in to place.  It's keyed (I think with a squared cable) so it might take a slight spinning one way or another to get it to line up, but it's pretty easy to do.

dodj

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 13, 2018, 02:50:17 AM
You can install it with the dash in place.  Not hard, but you'll need to lay on your back and reach up there to slide it in.  It should just push and lock in to place.  It's keyed (I think with a squared cable) so it might take a slight spinning one way or another to get it to line up, but it's pretty easy to do.
I'll add that it is easy to do without the drivers seat in place. Otherwise. .......
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Katfish

Piece of cake, done it many times.
You'll just have to contort and hang your legs out the door.....

I replaced my cable recently. I wedged myself between the floor and the seat to reach behind the speedo to replace the cable. Not the most comfortable way to do it, but not too bad.
Removing the seat is an option for more room.
Keep the routing with smooth arcs will help it revolve better .

RUNCHARGER

Under the car should have a clip installed for the speedo cable unless the floors were changed. Be extra careful to make sure it is not near any exhaust pipes as the heat will melt it in an instant. It's not really that hard to install with everything in place.
Sheldon

Shoooter

perfect thank you guys

Plumcrazzy

Make sure it has been lubricated well before installation.

Shoooter

I've read different ways of doing this. some people spray down into the tube and others pull the cable inside and grease it. what's the better way

RUNCHARGER

I've sprayed them but I don't think it is all that effective. Grease sticks in there better I think.
Sheldon

MoparDave

the original speedo lube from mopar use to be like a Vaseline. don't use lithium as is will bind over time. best way to lube it is to remove the wire. it will pull all the way out. installation is easy. put the cable through the firewall and attach to the speedo first. then route it to the trans adapter.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/