Main Menu

Speedometer issues

Started by edison1970, November 12, 2019, 05:23:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

My speedometer has been acting up. First, it didn't read accurately,  then it was bouncing.  I changed to another cable that turned smoothly.  Seemed a little better but it still bounces every so often. Also when I hit a bump, the needle bounces. Should I  just send it out to get fixed or does anyone else have some tips on how to fix it myself.
Thanks

dodj

Not a speedo guru or anything but I have never heard of bouncing being caused by anything other than a binding speedo cable.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

I agree with dodj. Check and make sure your cable is new (not old and oiled up) and routed with the least resistance possible. If the needle bounces too much it will snap off.

MoparDave

the center of the actual cable comes out and can be lubed. Use a Vaseline type lube, not a lithium based. Put the core out and lube the entire piece. it will pull out from the top only.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

edison1970

I purchased a dry lube from Napa. It's very thin. I pulled the cable out of the case, wiped it down then sprayed this stuff all over it and in the case. It worked better but still not perfect. I have a brand new one in the garage somewhere that I'm going to try next. The routing of the cable seems good.  Under the car looks good. Does the routing under the dash look right?

Katfish

Mine bounced so much it broke the needle.
Had to have it rebuilt.  There are bushings in there that apparently wear out.
It's not a direct drive, it's a magnetic pickup, so when the bushings go, it bounces.

edison1970

I installed the new cable and it does the same thing. Looks like I'm going to have to send it out to be gone through. Anyone have a preference of where to send it? How much should I expect to pay?

Chryco Psycho

Why not clean it & lube it yourself first , it is only 50 years old !! It is probably fine without a rebuild if the mileage is not stupid

edison1970

What lube would you use? Not sure on the mileage. I really don't want to do this again.  I test the speedometer before I put the dash in but my drill doesn't turn it fast enough to where it starts to act up.

Chryco Psycho

I would use something light & non hardening like a sewing machine oil , or a good penetrating oil .... not WD40

Blake@diyhemi.com

Kicking this old thread up. My speedometer bounces wildly, but the odometer seems to be working fine.  Time to lubricate the cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Bullitt-

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on April 12, 2020, 02:50:28 PM
Kicking this old thread up. My speedometer bounces wildly, but the odometer seems to be working fine.  Time to lubricate the cable?

@Blake@diyhemi.com   best to see to that right away, there's a good possibility of breaking your speedo needle if the cable is catching. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Blake@diyhemi.com

Fixed the issue by installing a new speedometer cable and upgrading to a rallye dash cluster :)

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!