Main Menu

Standard Dash Bezel Painting

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 05, 2020, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Today was a good day to finally do some finish work on my Barracuda. The oil warning light lens had a crack in it showing white on start up so I changed those out. While I had the bezel out, I added the silver trim around the gauge openings which had mostly worn off. Does the small warning light opening also get the silver trim treatment? I saw no remnants of it so I'm guessing it didn't.

Dakota

There's no silver around the warning lights on my non-Rallye dash either (70 Challenger).

anlauto

Hey, that takes a steady hand and it looks like you got it right  :twothumbsup: There is no silver on the small circles :lurking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't make an awful mess of it.

70/6chall

I have cleaned up 3or 4 of these fascia panel. To get the plastic panel clean and to bring out the grain. I used a plastic cleaner like 303 and a small nylon brush and a micro fiber cloth. Then used a plastic polish on it. To get the silver trim accomplished with no booboo's. I took a regular wood pencil wrapped the new eraser end with a piece of cloth secured with a rubber band. Pulled the cloth around the eraser end real tight with the rubber band keeping it tight. Opened a bottle of modelers chrome silver poured a little in the cap, where the cloth covered eraser end acted as a hard rubber paint brush. Blotted off the extra paint, very carefully ran the paint over the raised part of the opening around the instruments. If your careful you'll get the paint just on that raised edge. Perfecto........
I also did the same treatment to the switch panel. The pieces look brand new. Thanks,   Al

JS29

mopar jack

I have had good results with a felt type marker called Liquid Chrome available from local craft stores.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I also used silver model paint. What I did was hold the brush at almost a 90 degree angle and swipe it side to side so the lip doesn't scrape off excess paint and dribble down the side. The eraser trick probably would have been faster!