Main Menu

Steering column telescoping a bit

Started by JunkYardFind, May 07, 2021, 11:38:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

During replacement of Ignition switch & cylinder, I noticed my steering column was able to telescope out (towards the driver) about 2 inches. Enough where I did not have to remove the lock plate to install the ignition. Good thing as the lock plate push pin was NOT budging.

I believe the safety collapse pins in the column have been compromised :/ They have been this way for years most likely and I have been driving the car a fair bit during this time with no problems.

Couple questions... does the 2 inch telescoping mean the pins are definitely compromised? Just how dangerous is it to leave the column this way?

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

rftroy

Yikes!
2 inches is not a bit.
Stop driving it!
Is the entire column moving, or is only part of it moving?  Which parts?

While you're working on this, inspect the steering coupling. There should be a pin pressed into the back of the coupling which keeps the shoes at the end of the steering column from coming out of the coupling. Make sure it's there.

My first bet would be that, yes, your pins have sheared. But to know definitely, you need to provide more detailed information as to what is moving in relation to what.  Sheared pins alone will not allow the steering wheel or column to move back-and-forth. There are other things wrong.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

JunkYardFind

Yes, the pin at the end of the steering column is in. The upper shaft that the lock plate etc attaches to is what moves when everything is disassembled. 2 inches then cannot move further. Just enough room to squeeze the ignition switch past the lock plate.

I should clarify, the column does NOT move once everything is put back together after ignition install, snap ring install, turn signal switch collar, crush can etc. No movement when I try to move it from engine bay either.

FE5CUDA

Sounds like your missing the snap ring on the shaft under the bearing.  Is it just the shaft or is the bearing coming up with it.  The polymer that was injected thru the two holes that appear to be "pins" are not really needed.  Once the shaft is retained at the top and bottom in the car, where is it going to go?

anlauto

Once reassembled with everything in place, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

The service manual does say replace with new...but good luck with that.
I agree with what others have said and you are fine. Once put back together properly and installed it can't come apart unless the distance between the dash and the K frame dramatically increases. In that case you likely have bigger problems.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on May 08, 2021, 03:33:23 AM
Once reassembled with everything in place, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion. :alan2cents:

Is it echoing in here?

dodj

We're giving you positive reinforcement....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JunkYardFind

I really appreciate the replies! I figured it wasn't going to fall out as I have been driving it that way likely since I bought it in the early 90's. I vaguely remember a mechanic mentioning it to me in 2007 when I had the steering box replaced. They may have been the ones to break it though :/ In fact, I think they welded the lock plate pin in place thinking that would help  ::)

Going to leave it be for now. I have alot of other stuff on the restoration list to get to first. Got a cool Mopar swap coming up....maybe I will find a steering shaft there. I will re-post the show info in another thread.